Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nazmul Parvej <na...@bol-online.com> on 2022/07/31 12:10:07 UTC

Multiple RADOS monitor IPs to add RBD Primary Storage

Hi There,

I am using ACSv4.17

I added my primary storage using a single mon IP to attach the RBD pool. My
questions are following.

1. How to add multiple RADOS monitor IPs to add RBD Primary Storage?

2. Is there any way to add multiple RADOS monitor IPs to Existingly added
RBD Primary Storage which was a single RADOS monitor IP?

Yours sincerely,

Nazmul Parvej
Deputy Manager, Product Development
IT Division

Bangladesh Export Import Company Ltd.

Level-9, SAM Tower, Plot #4, Road #22, Gulshan-1, Dhaka-1212,Bangladesh

Tel: +880 9609 000 999, +880 2 5881 5559, Ext: 14193, Fax:  +880 2 2222
95757

Cell: +8801787680841, Email: nazmul.parvej@bol-online.com, Web:
www.bol-online.com

Re: Multiple RADOS monitor IPs to add RBD Primary Storage

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Op 29-08-2022 om 23:55 schreef Stephan Seitz:
> The last time i've looked up this issue, it was proposed to use
> DNS round-robin, aka add every monitor-IP as A-Record to your monitor-
> alias and refer to it by name.
>
> Not, that I like that solution, since it adds up another dependency to
> DNS, but that's how we run it since a few years ;)

You really want Round Robin DNS. Especially with the 'new' cephadm
Monitors can be spawned dynamically by the Ceph cluster and thus the IP
of a monitor can change rather quickly.

So with DNS you have the right control.

And everything starts with DNS. You'll need working DNS anyway :-)

Wido

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@mailbox.org.INVALID>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Op 31-07-2022 om 14:10 schreef Nazmul Parvej:
> Hi There,
>
> I am using ACSv4.17
>
> I added my primary storage using a single mon IP to attach the RBD pool. My
> questions are following.
>
> 1. How to add multiple RADOS monitor IPs to add RBD Primary Storage?
>
> 2. Is there any way to add multiple RADOS monitor IPs to Existingly added
> RBD Primary Storage which was a single RADOS monitor IP?

I suggest you create a Round Robin DNS record which contains the IPs of
all the Ceph Monitors. You use that hostname and then you can modify the
IPs afterwards when needed.

Wido