Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Avi Flax <av...@parkassist.com> on 2017/01/03 20:54:42 UTC

Re: Consumers in the same group but consuming different topics?

> On Dec 19, 2016, at 16:53, Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Similar questions have been discussed previously:

> One concern of doing this, though is that if you want to do the change
> on-the-fly by rolling bounce (i.e. combining step 5 6 and 7) the instances
> to switch back the assignor class, then there will be a period of time
> while some instances are using the old assignor while some other are using
> the new one, hence undefined behavior.
>
> But since you are doing steps 5 6 7 consecutively I think it should be fine.
>
> BTW regarding your first email, it actually is OK to have consumers in the
> same group to be subscribing to different topics (e.g. consumerA
> subscribing to topic 1 2 3, consumerB subscribing to topic 4 5 6), and the
> topic partitions will then be assigned correspondingly if you are using the
> consumer's default assignor, however in streams partition assignor we did
> not do this yet.

Hi Guozhang, thanks so much for the very helpful response! I apologize for my delay in responding; I was scrambling to get ready for the holidays and then I was out on break. I found an alternate approach to resolving my particular problem, but the information you’ve shared will be quite helpful in the future.

Thanks!
Avi

————
Software Architect @ Park Assist