Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by anyz <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/09 07:48:18 UTC

How J2 consolidates a Page

Could someone confirms how J2 works to make a resultant PSML page. If i have
four portlets on a PSML page written in JSP. When this page is requrested
folowing flow of events will be executed:

1- J2 requests servlet engine Tomcat to compile and generate contents of
 each portlet separately. i.e. four requests sent for four portlet on page
2- The output of each portlet is then merged without any processing.e.g.
duplicate code is not removed if any exists.
3- Header and footer tempaltes are applied
4- Final output is sent to browser.

If above is correct we can say output generated by one portlet is not
visible/accessible to other. Each portlet should be be self suffiient to be
compiled and generate contents.
However header contribution is differnt thing and J2 wil not include a
duplicate header if multiple portlets are contriubuting it.

Thanks

Re: How J2 consolidates a Page

Posted by David Taylor <da...@gmail.com>.
> If above is correct we can say output generated by one portlet is not
> visible/accessible to other

Yes, portlets cannot see or take part in the rendering of another
portlets content. However, portlets can communicate during the event
phase when using a Portlet 2.0 compliant container (like Jetspeed).
Thus one portlet can have some effect on the content of another
portlet. For example, the out of the box demo (2.2.1) has a page that
demonstrates two portlets communicating (an Address portlet and a
Google Maps portlet). You can see it by logging on as admin and going
here:

http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/ui/finance/map.psml

--
David