Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by "Gerdes, Tom" <TG...@OldRepublicTitle.com> on 2006/07/12 16:38:54 UTC

Httpclient running a JavaScript Function

I am using Jakarta-Commons Httpclient 3.0 to access a web page and
automate sending data from my database to a web site.  Upon connecting
to the web site I receive a Javascript file as part of the response to
my GET method.  Does Httpclient have a way to execute a function in the
Javascript file.   I am trying to emulate the IE browser, and it has the
capability to run a Javascript function.   If this is not a capability
of Httpclient 3.0,  is there another java package that you can
recommend?

Re: Httpclient running a JavaScript Function

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Tom,

HttpClient is not a browser. It is content agnostic actually. If you are
looking for a JavaScript engine you may want to check out Rhino.

However, I recommend you don't try to emulate a web browser and use a
WebServices API rather than an interface designed for humans.

Cheers

Ortwin

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/

Re: Httpclient running a JavaScript Function

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Tom,

> Does Httpclient have a way to execute a function in the
> Javascript file.   I am trying to emulate the IE browser, and it has the
> capability to run a Javascript function.

No. HttpClient is not a browser.
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/ForAbsoluteBeginners#head-a110969063be34fcd964aeba55ae23bea12ac232

> If this is not a capability
> of Httpclient 3.0,  is there another java package that you can
> recommend?

Most likely you're better off by re-programming the JavaScript
from that specific site in your application. Or you can try
scripting a browser engine or something like that. There are
free JavaScript interpreters in Java out there, but to simulate
a browser environment will be a hell of a task.

cheers,
  Roland