Posted to users@taverna.apache.org by Matthieu Melcot <ma...@spaceapplications.com> on 2015/02/27 11:30:50 UTC

A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Dear Taverna Team,

I am currently looking for an orchestrator that could suit our project
needs.

I discovered Taverna and it seems very interesting.

I have a few questions that I would like to clarify before making the
choice of using Taverna in our project

The core of the project is the orchestration of WPS processes
(http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wps) which are Web Services for
Geospatial processing.
Basically, a client can request one of the 3 following
"GetCapabilities", "DescribeProcess", "Execute" and get a
response in XML

The WPS server implementation that we will use
(http://52north.org/communities/geoprocessing/wps/) doesn't embed the
WPS xml inside SOAP (even if the OGC WPS norm describes it), and their
are not WSDL capabilities.

1) Is it relatively easy to develop a component for Taverna that will
allow to add these WPS services into the "Services Available" for
building a workflow ? Which kind of effort would it represent ?
I read
(http://geoprocessing.forum.52north.org/Problem-with-Taverna-td4024997.html)
that some people try to use WPS with Taverna (Through WSDL however), but
they didnt succeed.

2) In the case that it is possible, is there some possibilities to
describe semantically the input and output of these WPS services (indeed
the input and outputs will always be URL (texts), but the URLs reference
different types of materials), so that it would be possible to check if
the connections are valid. It seems that Taverna has that kind of
mechanism...

3) My third question is about the monitoring and control of the workflow
execution.
Is there a way through the REST API to ask which part of a workflow is
actually executing.

4) Is there a simple Web Viewer/Controller (It seems that the "Taverna
Player" needs to be embedded in web pages in ruby). Is there a more
straightforward way to use this player in order to test it ?

5) Is there a mean to control and monitor the execution of a remote
workflow directly from the Taverna Workbench. It seems that "File / Open
Workflow Location" makes reference to a .t2flow remote file, and not a
workflow that would have been load into the Taverna Server.

Thanks in advance for your help

Matthieu Melcot

--
Matthieu Melcot
Software Engineer

Space Applications Services NV/SA
Leuvensesteenweg 325, 1932 Zaventem, Belgium
Direct: +32-(0)2-416.05.35
Main: +32-(0)2-721.54.84 Fax: +32-(0)2-721.54.44
www.spaceapplications.com

RE: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es>.
Hello Vitor,

So your advice to run my workflow on the other project, this one:

https://github.com/myGrid/t2-server-jar/tree/next/src/main/java/uk/org/taverna/server/client

can I run it? , looks so complicated.

Regards

Posted by Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es>.
Hello,

Okay I will try this project to get the provenance data:

https://github.com/myGrid/t2-server-jar/

if anyone has sample client to run the workflow, please send it, so I can modify that and run my workflow.

Regards

Posted by Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es>.
Yes sure, just give me your account name, and let me know the time to talk
thanks

On 09-Apr-15 18:27, Ahmad Aburomman wrote:
> My hangout is ahmad.aburoman@gmail.com

Can we try for a hangout on Monday?

Alan

Re: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es>.
My hangout is ahmad.aburoman@gmail.com

Would it make sense to have a Google hangout (or similar) to discuss what to do about Taverna Server client code?

Alan

RE: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es>.
Yes that will more easy.

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.
Hello everybody,

Posted by Vitor Freitas <vi...@freitas.com>.
Hello,

--
Vitor Freitas
vitorfs.com

RE: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by "Donal K. Fellows" <do...@manchester.ac.uk>.
On 08/04/2015 10:30, Vitor Freitas wrote:
> Actually I started the development of this taverna java client [1]
> because I couldn't find at the time a client to work with the Taverna
> Server. Actually, later on I found it hidden in the server code base, as
> Alan said hehe.
>
> I used a kind of naive implementation just to do some proof of concept,
> in order to integrate our experiment platform (which is written in java)
> with taverna.
>
> About the provenance thing I will check it out, maybe it is something I
> haven't implemented on my client. Anyway, probably this client [2] is
> more complete... Would be good if it was detached from the server code base

My original plan was to evolve that into a separate product library that
we could publish somewhere (like Maven Central?) but I got side-tracked
into a different project for the past couple of months. :-) The
t2-server-jar library hasn't had any commits for some time; I don't know
if it supports the current server API (if it doesn't, it'll only be
missing a few methods). It probably ought to be merged with the code in
the server codebase, which uses a somewhat different code-generation
technique (it derives the binding layer from WADL instead of building it
up from XSD directly).

Donal.

Re: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by Vitor Freitas <vi...@freitas.com>.
Hello everyone,

--
Vitor Freitas
vitorfs.com

Re: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 31-Mar-15 12:21, Ian Dunlop wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Would this client code be usable from the taverna android app (see
> previous GSoC discussions).

It probably needs to be separated out. I think I understand the history,
but it is not helpful having it "hidden" in the server code base.

wrt Android I do not know, but it would be good if it could.

> Cheers,
>
> Ian

Alan

Re: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@manchester.ac.uk>.

Re: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
+1 to try a simple "clever stuff" layered over the auto generated one

The generated code would be deployed  as separate module in Maven anyway,
so I think it is OK that it stays within the server code base, even though
it smells a lot of classic Axis1 style of client server development..

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 31 March 2015 at 11:34, Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your indeed reply, actually I'm using this project
> https://github.com/pgcc/taverna-java-client

Ah, that code is brand new to me and seems to be written for Taverna
Server 2.5 - we should invite Vitor to join the mailing list.

Vitor - Ahmad here have some questions about your taverna-java-client
and getting the provenance back
http://markmail.org/message/gplybw7ruvgef6o7

I was confused as I thought he was talking about
https://github.com/myGrid/t2-server-jar/
.. which has not been updated for Taverna 2.5 -- your code is made
from scratch against the 2.5 APIs, right?

Vitor, have you signed up to the Apache Taverna mailing lists? We
would love to have you on board and possibly join effort on the
Taverna Server client effort! Also it would be cool to hear what you
use Taverna for.

http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/contact/

Posted by Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es>.
So I have to build that, but it is very hard to build, I have no idea about it .
I'm also trying with Taverna Command Line Tool, also it is seem that there is no provenance data can be generate!!

I need a solution to run my workflow and get the output with the provenance data.

Regards

> Hello,

Hello

> I appreciate your time and cooperation, really thank you very much.
>
> But I got confused :(

Sorry about that.

> What I got that you want me to merge the client side from this project:
>      https://github.com/taverna/taverna-server/tree/2.5/server-client
>
> with the server side from the this project:
> https://github.com/taverna/taverna-server.git
>
> the problem it the last project (https://github.com/taverna/taverna-server.git) is the same of the first one, it load the same one.

Yes. The client code is in
https://github.com/taverna/taverna-server/tree/2.5/server-client . To build it, you will (currently) have to build the whole of the Taverna Server code - but you can then just use the server-client.

Alan

Re: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Donal K. Fellows" <do...@manchester.ac.uk>.
On 23/04/2015 22:25, Ahmad Aburomman wrote:
> But I got confused:(

You're not experienced with building fairly large Maven projects with
lots of dependencies? Get the build from our Artifactory. :-)

http://repository.mygrid.org.uk/artifactory/libs-snapshot-local/uk/org/taverna/server/server-client/2.5.5-SNAPSHOT/server-client-2.5.5-20150425.104736-20.jar

That should be a largely self-contained JAR (85kB) with a few external
dependencies (org.jvnet.ws.wadl:wadl-core:1.1.6,
com.sun.jersey:jersey-client:1.8, commons-io:commons-io:2.4,
org.apache.tika:tika-core:1.5, com.google.code.findbugs:jsr305:1.3.7)
which we don't include since we don't normally repackage external
libraries in the Open Source world. ;-)

The above URL is not persistent; it is to a version that may go away
without warning (because we only keep a limited number of snapshot
versions). I'm not sure how to generate a link to the directory in the
Artifactory tree.

MAVEN INSTRUCTIONS
------------------
DO NOT USE THESE IF YOU AREN'T USING MAVEN FOR THE REST OF YOUR CLIENT.
THESE ASSUME THAT YOU KNOW HOW MAVEN WORKS ALREADY; WE WON'T TEACH YOU THAT!

It has the following Maven coordinates:

   <dependency>
       <groupId>uk.org.taverna.server</groupId>
       <artifactId>server-client</artifactId>
       <version>2.5.5-SNAPSHOT</version>
   </dependency>

And that will depend on you having the myGrid repository set up:

   <repositories>
       <repository>
           <releases />
           <snapshots>
               <enabled>false</enabled>
           </snapshots>
           <id>mygrid-repository</id>
           <name>myGrid Respository</name>
           <url>http://www.mygrid.org.uk/maven/repository</url>
       </repository>
       <repository>
           <releases>
               <enabled>false</enabled>
           </releases>
           <snapshots>
               <enabled>true</enabled>
           </snapshots>
           <id>mygrid-snapshots</id>
           <name>myGrid Snapshot Respository</name>
           <url>http://www.mygrid.org.uk/maven/snapshot-repository</url>
       </repository>
   </repositories>

Donal.

RE: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es>.
Hello,

On 13/04/2015 13:27, alaninmcr wrote:
> I've started a hangout. If anyone else wants to join, the URL is
> https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gwg7xzlz4c6cyabi5popr6mohma

As was discussed, the code at:

    https://github.com/myGrid/t2-server-jar

is really quite old, and is missing critical features. The client in the
server codebase:

    https://github.com/taverna/taverna-server/tree/2.5/server-client

is up to date (and is part of what we've contributed to Apache, so it
will continue to be supported) though it is currently a bit awkward to
build and isn't a finished release yet. To build the 2.5 version (NB:
NOT Apache code, but equivalent to) check out the server code from github:

    https://github.com/taverna/taverna-server.git

and then use maven to build it. I recommend 'mvn install' for that. That
will download the world a bit, but will eventually create the following
artefact in your system-local maven repository.

    <dependency>
        <groupId>uk.org.taverna.server</groupId>
        <artifactId>server-client</artifactId>
        <version>2.5.5-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>

That should be quite fully featured enough to support generating
provenance (as part of the run bundle) provided you ask for it; you're
still expected to understand the general server usage patterns, which
are documented online currently at:

    http://dev.mygrid.org.uk/wiki/display/tav250/Taverna+Server+2.5

What we (well, probably I) will do next is to update the build so that a
proper client artefact is produced that doesn't have explicit
dependencies on other parts of the server build (currently it uses a
supporting library for handling Resource Usage Records) and get 2.5.5
released so that we can have an actual artefact that we can point to,
rather than some sort of SNAPSHOT.

Oh, and you *might* be able to use the build in our Artifactory:

http://repository.mygrid.org.uk/artifactory/libs-snapshot-local/uk/org/taverna/server/server-client/2.5.5-SNAPSHOT/server-client-2.5.5-20150304.170355-11.jar

That's not a long-term guaranteed URL and I don't know if it has all the
dependencies you need. But maybe it will work? :-)

Donal.

Re: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by "Donal K. Fellows" <do...@manchester.ac.uk>.

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es>.
Can we start hangout ?

Posted by "Donal K. Fellows" <do...@manchester.ac.uk>.
On 06/04/2015 11:37, Ahmad Aburomman wrote:
> I modify the project of Vitor, here is the function:
> https://github.com/AhmadUsc/Java/blob/197819f798184721260789644f883221d166bb78/javaClient#L66
>
> Okay I didn't touch Baclava, I added Enable Provenance function
> I got the zip bundle but it was empty.
>
> Can you Vitor regenerate the code with provenance data enabling ?
> Here is Vitor project:
> https://github.com/pgcc/taverna-java-client

We were wondering whether you want a Google hangout so that you can
discuss this with us. Perhaps sometime on Monday? That is, on
13/04/2015, some time between 0900 GMT and 1500 GMT, at least for
preference. We can do other times by arrangement too (in which case
we'll set up a doodle poll to arrange things) but they're the ones we
can do with minimum fuss. :-)

Donal.

RE: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

No, you should not need to touch Baclava at all :)

You will need to retrieve the provenance bundle separately once the run has finished. It should be available at .../run-bundle in the REST
API:

http://dev.mygrid.org.uk/wiki/display/tav250/REST+API#RESTAPI-Resource:/runs/{id}/run-bundle

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes

Posted by Ahmad Aburomman <ah...@rai.usc.es>.
Okay, that seems to edit or modify some scripts, but which file should I do this? Inside Taverna server directory or in the java client?
Please explain more

Thanks

On 26/03/2015 19:45, Ahmad Aburomman wrote:
> Dear Stian,
>
> I'm working on workflow and I ran it perfectly (tomcat6 and RESTful),
> I got the output without provenance bundle

Before you started the run, did you set generate-provenance to true?

Also, you need to make sure you are not sending the outputs to a Baclava file.

See
http://dev.mygrid.org.uk/wiki/display/tav250/REST+API#RESTAPI-Resource:/runs/{id}/generate-provenance

> I don't know how to configure Taverna server to enable provenance
> data, can you guide me please?

It is not part of the server configuration. It is set for each run.

> Kind regards
>
> Ahmad

Alan

Re: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 26/03/2015 19:45, Ahmad Aburomman wrote:
> Dear Stian,
>
> I'm working on workflow and I ran it perfectly (tomcat6 and RESTful),
> I got the output without provenance bundle

Before you started the run, did you set generate-provenance to true?

Also, you need to make sure you are not sending the outputs to a Baclava
file.

See
http://dev.mygrid.org.uk/wiki/display/tav250/REST+API#RESTAPI-Resource:/runs/{id}/generate-provenance

> I don't know how to configure Taverna server to enable provenance
> data, can you guide me please?

It is not part of the server configuration. It is set for each run.

> Kind regards
>
> Ahmad

Alan

RE: A few questions before choosing Taverna for our project

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 27-Feb-15 10:30, Matthieu Melcot wrote:
> Dear Taverna Team,

Hello

I'll just fill in some additional information to Stian's answer.

> I am currently looking for an orchestrator that could suit our project
> needs.
>
> I discovered Taverna and it seems very interesting.
>
> I have a few questions that I would like to clarify before making the
> choice of using Taverna in our project
>
> The core of the project is the orchestration of WPS processes
> (http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wps) which are Web Services for
> Geospatial processing.
> Basically, a client can request one of the 3 following
> "GetCapabilities", "DescribeProcess", "Execute" and get a
> response in XML

Yes, I know WPS quite well. As part of the BioVeL project, I developed a
prototype WPS service for Taverna that talks to the WPS at iMarine
http://www.i-marine.eu/

> The WPS server implementation that we will use
> (http://52north.org/communities/geoprocessing/wps/) doesn't embed the
> WPS xml inside SOAP (even if the OGC WPS norm describes it), and their
> are not WSDL capabilities.

I do not understand what you are saying. Is it using the WPS REST
interface?

> 1) Is it relatively easy to develop a component for Taverna that will
> allow to add these WPS services into the "Services Available" for
> building a workflow ?

Relatively easy, yes. There are at least two prototype plugins for this
at https://github.com/zzpwelkin/taverna-wps-plugin.git and
https://github.com/alaninmcr/wps-taverna.git

> Which kind of effort would it represent ?

We have a Google Summer of Code project on it at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-122 . I think it will
depend if you want to make sure that the extension works for most WPS or
just for yours. Also, the GSOC project includes getting the WPS support
into Taverna 3. It will be easier if you just do Taverna 2.5.

> I read
> (http://geoprocessing.forum.52north.org/Problem-with-Taverna-td4024997.html)
> that some people try to use WPS with Taverna (Through WSDL however), but
> they didnt succeed.

It is difficult to say anything reasonable about that problem as there
is no valid link to the problematic WSDL. It has localhost as the WSDL
server.

> 2) In the case that it is possible, is there some possibilities to
> describe semantically the input and output of these WPS services (indeed
> the input and outputs will always be URL (texts), but the URLs reference
> different types of materials), so that it would be possible to check if
> the connections are valid. It seems that Taverna has that kind of
> mechanism...

You could certainly write a validity check to see if the connections
matched up.

[snip]

> 4) Is there a simple Web Viewer/Controller (It seems that the "Taverna
> Player" needs to be embedded in web pages in ruby). Is there a more
> straightforward way to use this player in order to test it ?

The player does not need to be embedded in web pages in ruby. For
example, I developed a mechanism for including it in IPython Notebook -
see http://youtu.be/QVQwSOX5S08

[snip]

> Thanks in advance for your help
>
> Matthieu Melcot