Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Marc SCHNEIDER <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/24 11:22:57 UTC

Question about optimization

Hi,

I saw this in the Solr wiki : "An un-optimized index is going to be *at
least* 10% slower for un-cached queries."
Is this still true? I read somewhere that recent versions of Lucene where
less sensitive to un-ptimized indexed than is the past...
Having 50 000 new (or updated) documents coming to my index every day, would
a once-a-day optimization be sufficient?

Thanks in advance,
Marc.

Re: Question about optimization

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I saw this in the Solr wiki : "An un-optimized index is going to be *at
: least* 10% slower for un-cached queries."
: Is this still true? I read somewhere that recent versions of Lucene where
: less sensitive to un-ptimized indexed than is the past...

correct.  I've removed that specific statement ... definitely missleading.

: Having 50 000 new (or updated) documents coming to my index every day, would
: a once-a-day optimization be sufficient?

how often you optimize doesn't really matter -- what matters is that you
optimize *if* you know you aren't going to be getting more changes soon.
If you get one updated ever minute 24 hours a day, then optimizing once a
night isn't going to help you out any more then optimizing once a week or
once a year.

if you do 50K updates a day divided into two batches, one at midnight and
one at noon, then optimizing immediately after each of those batches might
give you some noticable search speed improvements the rest of the day.

-Hoss