Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by liat oren <or...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/15 11:42:03 UTC

Changing Boosting that was set at indexing time

Hi,

I indexed 4 million documents and used boosting factors for each document at
indexing time.

I would like to cancel that boosting. Is there a way to do that without
re-indexing all of them?

Many thanks,
Liat

Re: Changing Boosting that was set at indexing time

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 6/15/11 7:14 PM, liat oren wrote:
> Ok, thanks a lot
>
> On 15 June 2011 11:36, Ian Lea<ia...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Don't think so.  The boost info is encoded and stored at index time.

Boosts that you set are multiplied by lengthNorm and then stored as a
coarse-grained float in fieldNorm values. There is a utility class that
can modify them, in contrib/misc (FieldNormModifier). It sets the boost
to 1.0 and then applies a Similarity.lengthNorm based on the Similarity
implementation of your choice. This is a little round-about, but perhaps
this could work for you?

If not, you can modify norms directly using IndexReader.setNorm(...) but
you need to remember that this method uses raw byte values, that is the
result of encoding a floating point value with
Similarity.encodeNormValue(..).

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: Changing Boosting that was set at indexing time

Posted by liat oren <or...@gmail.com>.
Ok, thanks a lot

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.