Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/24 01:49:54 UTC

Setting hyperlinks to open in a new window

Hello,

In OpenOffice/LibreOffice, when I embed hyperlinks, how can I make
sure they will open in new windows?

I've tried both the in-house Help function and Google, but not found
anything useful quickly. Any help you can offer would be very much
appreciated.

Thank you!

Jeff Deutsch
Speaker & Life Coach
A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
http://www.asplint.com

Your mood can affect how you read this e-mail. Please read it with a smile.
(http://tonecheck.com)

Re: Setting hyperlinks to open in a new window

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU
http://leather.casaerwin.org

Oops... I left out the http:// that should read:  <a
href="http://www.someline.com">Text to click on</a>
> To ensure that this link opens in a new window, it is amended like this:

> Whether this link will then open in a new window or in a new tab is
> determined by the settings in the browser, but it will be one or the
> other.
>
> Dale Erwin
> Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
> Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU
> http://leather.casaerwin.org
>
> On 10/24/2012 3:30 PM, Regina Henschel wrote:
>> Hi Jeffrey,
>>
>> Jeffrey Deutsch schrieb:
>>> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>> [..]
>>> No. Rather, when I embed a link to a website, I want (or rather, my
>>> editor wants me) to set it so that when someone clicks on it, the site
>>> comes up in a new window. She explained how it's done in Microsoft
>>> Word. How can I arrange that in OpenOffice/LibreOffice?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much!
>>>

>> I don't know such setting in AOO. My setting in Seamonkey always wins
>> over other settings. How does she force a new window in MS Word?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Regina

Re: The Oo Restarted when open the file morethan 1 MB

Posted by se...@romindo-factory.net.
Thanks Dan;

I use Acer Aspire 4741 with 2 GB RAM & Windows 7 Home Premium, Java updated automatically;
Perhaps the problems coming from Java;

Happy Eid Adha (Pilgrim Haj)

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Sinyal Bagus XL, Nyambung Teruuusss...!

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Setiadjit DS <se...@romindo-factory.net>.
Dear all;

--
Setiadjit DS
Plant Manager

Re: Setting hyperlinks to open in a new window

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeffrey

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Jeffrey Deutsch
<jd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> Yes, there is a setting in the hyperlink window that enables me to set
> [target="_blank"].

On OpenOffice Writer, right click on an hyperlick, you have an item
"Edit Hyperlink..." on the context menu that opens the "Hyperlink
Dialog".
On the Hyperlink Dialog you can set the target frame under "Further
settings" - "Frame", select "_blank" on the list box.
You can also use the Hyperlink Bar (View - Toolbars - Hyperlink Bar".

Regards

Re: Setting hyperlinks to open in a new window

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dale,

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Jeffrey,

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/2012 01:35 PM, M Henri Day wrote:
>>
>> 2012/10/24 Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In OpenOffice/LibreOffice, when I embed hyperlinks, how can I make
>>> sure they will open in new windows?
>>>
>>> I've tried both the in-house Help function and Google, but not found
>>> anything useful quickly. Any help you can offer would be very much
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jeff Deutsch
>>> Speaker & Life Coach
>>> A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
>>> http://www.asplint.com
>>>
>> Jeffry, I suspect that this is something that is rather regulated at the
>> level of the *reader*'s web browser, rather than that of the writer's
>> office suite. Thus, for example, when I perform «Ctrl + click» to open  a
>> hyperlink in a Writer document, if I've configured my browser (Firefox
>> Nightly 19.0a1 (2012-10-23)) so that «Open windows in a new tab» is
>> ticked,
>> it opens in a new tab in the same window, whereas if this option is not
>> ticked, a new FF window is opened with a single tab, i e, in which the
>> page
>> to which I've linked is launched. But perhaps I'm missing something....
>>
>> Henri
>>
>      Do you mean you want to use the hyperlink to open another Apache
> OpenOffice document (text, spreadsheet, slide show, or database)? If so, a
> macro is more likely what you would need instead of a hyperlink.
>
> --Dan

Hello Dan,

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hello Henri,

You're certainly right in that the reader can sometimes set it him/herself.

Thing is, I write for a publication whose editor wants us to submit
all the stories in Microsoft Word...and set any embedded links* to
open in a new window. She explained how it works in Microsoft Word
itself. Of course, I use OpenOffice/LibreOffice, and not all the same
controls appear here.

So if there is a way to set embedded hyperlinks in
OpenOffice/LibreOffice to open in new windows, any help in setting
that up would be great.

[*] And no, she doesn't want separate URLs.

Posted by M Henri Day <mh...@gmail.com>.