Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/10/05 00:37:36 UTC

[classlib] manifest information

Can we consider making the final manifest that goes into our jars to be
created/updated dynamically?

I just went through all manifests and added Specification-Version,
Implementation-Version, etc and they will change, at least the last one.

I know the Eclipse people depend on them, so maybe can we used ant's
filtering to set the Impl-Version dynamically?  Or something like that?

geir

Re: [classlib] manifest information

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> :-(  Implementation-Version is (or maybe 'was' now) being set
> dynamically.  I don;t expect the impl version to be the same as the spec
> version.

Was it?  Whoops :)  I'll undo.  Ah - I went through and added them
because I wasn't getting it in a test, and now that I think about it, it
was because of kernel.jar not having it...  which I fixed in DRLVM

> See the build-jar target in each module's build.xml that sets it to the
> ${svn.info}.

Ok

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Can we consider making the final manifest that goes into our jars to be
> created/updated dynamically?
>
> I just went through all manifests and added Specification-Version,
> Implementation-Version, etc and they will change, at least the last one.
>
> I know the Eclipse people depend on them, so maybe can we used ant's
> filtering to set the Impl-Version dynamically?  Or something like that?
>
> geir

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [classlib] manifest information

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I got your point and mostly agree with you.

Which bit do you disagree with <g> ?

> But in this case we really need some dependency checking routine
> because now nobody checks them.

Well the Eclipse-based people will be checking them (since we get
compiler errors for references outside the module definition).

I agree with a general purpose dependency check, and will investigate it.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Tim,

I got your point and mostly agree with you.

But in this case we really need some dependency checking routine
because now nobody checks them.

SY, Alexey

2006/10/5, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > We also need to keep Import-Package section up to date...
>
> For sure, and (just to be clear to all) these are not just for Eclipse's
> benefit, they are for our benefit as they are the definition of our
> class library modularity.  When you add a new Import or Export you are
> changing the module's interface and potentially adding new coupling.  It
> should not be undertaken lightly.
>
> I appreciate that it is hard to maintain the module boundaries if you
> don't use a tool like Eclipse that warns you if you reach outside the
> module definition; and we should consider adding such a check into the
> automated build.
>
> Therefore, I'd not be in favour of automatically updating the Imports
> and Exports in the manifest -- it would hide any widening of the
> inter-module dependencies and we could end up with the spaghetti code
> evident in 'other popular implementations of the spec'.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> > 2006/10/5, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com>:
> >> Can we consider making the final manifest that goes into our jars to be
> >> created/updated dynamically?
> >>
> >> I just went through all manifests and added Specification-Version,
> >> Implementation-Version, etc and they will change, at least the last one.
> >>
> >> I know the Eclipse people depend on them, so maybe can we used ant's
> >> filtering to set the Impl-Version dynamically?  Or something like that?
> >>
> >> geir

> Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
> IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [classlib] manifest information

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 10/5/06, Tim Ellison wrote:
>>
>> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
>> > We also need to keep Import-Package section up to date...
>>
>> For sure, and (just to be clear to all) these are not just for Eclipse's
>> benefit, they are for our benefit as they are the definition of our
>> class library modularity.  When you add a new Import or Export you are
>> changing the module's interface and potentially adding new coupling.  It
>> should not be undertaken lightly.
>

> Hi Tim,
>
> I've just realized that I don't really understand why we should add tests'
> dependencies to manifest. I guess that I missed something. I've looked
> through harmony-dev mail archive but I haven't find answer. Could you give
> me a hint where to look at?

I asked that a while ago, and it's still an outstanding question.  I
really don't mind them there, but seems it would be cleaner if we had a
second manifest for the test jars or something...

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
>> We also need to keep Import-Package section up to date...
>
> For sure, and (just to be clear to all) these are not just for Eclipse's
> benefit, they are for our benefit as they are the definition of our
> class library modularity.  When you add a new Import or Export you are
> changing the module's interface and potentially adding new coupling.  It
> should not be undertaken lightly.
>
> I appreciate that it is hard to maintain the module boundaries if you
> don't use a tool like Eclipse that warns you if you reach outside the
> module definition; and we should consider adding such a check into the
> automated build.
>
> Therefore, I'd not be in favour of automatically updating the Imports
> and Exports in the manifest -- it would hide any widening of the
> inter-module dependencies and we could end up with the spaghetti code
> evident in 'other popular implementations of the spec'.

Right - I was going to say similar.  I think that the import/export
should be changed by deliberate decisions by humans...  The data is
unique to that manifest too.

geir

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.