Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by thully <tm...@eng.ucsd.edu> on 2014/12/30 01:02:33 UTC

How to change start level of Karaf framework bundles?

My project is using Felix FileInstall, which is included with the Karaf 3.0.2
framework distribution. In the process, we've run across some odd issues
with FileInstall - setting the felix.fileinstall.active.level to a value
lower than the felix.fileinstall.start.level sometimes causes bundles not to
start, and setting felix.fileinstall.noInitialDelay causes FileInstall to
load its bundles before boot features. Given this, it would be helpful if we
could make Felix FileInstall start later - in particular, after the Karaf
features deployer.

Is there a way to do this? It seems that the obvious solution would be to
change the start level for Felix FileInstall in our custom Karaf
distribution to a value after the features deployer. However, I've tried
editing the features.xml file in which both are listed
(system/org/apache/karaf/features/framework/3.0.2/framework-3.0.2-features.xml
in the default distribution) and it has no effect. Is there something else I
need to do in order for the changes to apply?

(I know that depending on start levels is not ideal, though in this case it
is just a workaround until FileInstall can be fixed or we can avoid using it
altogether in our project.)

Re: How to change start level of Karaf framework bundles?

Posted by thully <tm...@eng.ucsd.edu>.
I tried editing the startup.properties to move FileInstall later in the
process (i.e. after features deployer), and I get errors complaining of
missing boot features if I try to start Karaf/Cytoscape. Any idea what could
be causing this? Our cytoscape-gui boot feature doesn't depend on
FileInstall, and I didn't see File Install in the features.xml for the
"standard" boot feature either...

Re: How to change start level of Karaf framework bundles?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

The framework feature is used only to create the distribution: it's not
really deployed as it is.
Especially the framework feature is used by the install-kar goal of the
karaf-maven-plugin to generate the startup.properties.
If you take a look in the etc/startup.properties, you will find the
features deployer bundle as its start level (26 by default).
The format is in the etc/startup.properties:

bundle_location = start_level

Regards
JB

On 12/30/2014 01:02 AM, thully wrote:
> My project is using Felix FileInstall, which is included with the Karaf 3.0.2
> framework distribution. In the process, we've run across some odd issues
> with FileInstall - setting the felix.fileinstall.active.level to a value
> lower than the felix.fileinstall.start.level sometimes causes bundles not to
> start, and setting felix.fileinstall.noInitialDelay causes FileInstall to
> load its bundles before boot features. Given this, it would be helpful if we
> could make Felix FileInstall start later - in particular, after the Karaf
> features deployer.
>
> Is there a way to do this? It seems that the obvious solution would be to
> change the start level for Felix FileInstall in our custom Karaf
> distribution to a value after the features deployer. However, I've tried
> editing the features.xml file in which both are listed
> (system/org/apache/karaf/features/framework/3.0.2/framework-3.0.2-features.xml
> in the default distribution) and it has no effect. Is there something else I
> need to do in order for the changes to apply?
>
> (I know that depending on start levels is not ideal, though in this case it
> is just a workaround until FileInstall can be fixed or we can avoid using it
> altogether in our project.)

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net