Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Attila Mezei-Horvati <at...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/27 00:23:57 UTC

inefficiences of maven release (mvn 2)

I am not sure how many releases projects usually have,
we have quite a few, we are on a 2-4 week release
period schedules. So far we did 4 releases with maven.
At each occasion we were overhelmed with the manual
updates and commmands needed to get the release out.

Here are some of the issues:

1. we need to specify a release profile instead of
being able to just specify the profile on the command
line (just as we do it for a simple build). So before
release we manually add a release profile and after
release we remove it.

2. after release the working pom's scm url is
overwritten with the hard-coded version. So, if I had
{scm.url} after release i will have the real url
svn://myserver/repo. That means I need to update
manually the pom after every release to restore the
scml url variable.

Did anybody else experience these issues? Is there any
solution to them (if I am doing something wrong please
let me know)?

For one pom the problems listed above are probably not
a big issue, but when you have 10 or more
projects/subprojects it gets harder.

In my opinion, for short time releases it would really
be beneficial to have a possibility to create a
release with one command and arguments (with even
uploading the war/jar/ear to another server, not only
the local public repo). I don't know what the authors
of the release plugin think about it.

thanks,
Attila