Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Maria2009 <ma...@shinoto.de> on 2009/02/28 04:03:53 UTC

.ttc fonts with version 0.95 (no metric files?)

Hello,

until now I used the FOP renderer without creating a metric file, just with
.ttf files. Now I have to use .ttc files as well, and I wonder, whether
these work like the .ttf files.

- When I just inserted them in the config and my XSL-FO file, they did not
work.
- Trying to create a metric file (with -ttcname) did not work, but I will
ask at another helpful place for this.

Question: Can I use .tcc fonts without creating a metric file, and what do I
have to do to get it working?

Thanks!
Maria

Re: .ttc fonts with version 0.95 (no metric files?)

Posted by Maria2009 <ma...@shinoto.de>.
Jeremias,

the quotes were the problem! Thanks again! I will follow your kind
invitation to ask:blush:

Maria

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

On 28.02.2009 10:01:50 Maria2009 wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:
> >
> > what exactly didn't work creating the metric files for a TTC?
> >

> the problem is my lack of study. I use the oXygen Editor to develop my own
> framework, this is where I have to use a shell script, but I did not find
> out where to write the -ttcname part:
>
> ****shell script*****
> #!/bin/sh
> export CMD='java -cp lib/fop.jar:lib/avalon-framework-
> 4.2.0.jar:lib/xercesImpl.jar:lib/xalan.jar:lib/commons-io-1.3.1.jar
> org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader -ttcname "HGPMinchoB"'
> export FONT=/Library/Fonts/HGRMB.TTC
> $CMD $FONT HGPMinchoB.xml
> *********
>
> ****terminal reaction*****
> mbp:oXygen ms$ sh ttfConvert.sh
> TTF Reader for Apache FOP 0.95
>
> Parsing font...
> Reading /Library/Fonts/HGRMB.TTC...
> This is a TrueType collection file with 3 fonts
> Containing the following fonts:
> HGMinchoB
> HGPMinchoB
> HGSMinchoB
> Error while building XML font metrics file.
> java.io.IOException: Name does not exist in the TrueType collection:
> "HGPMinchoB"
>
> mbp:oXygen ms$
> *********
>
> The oXygen staff helps me wherever I cannot find a solution, so I asked them
> where to put the -ttcname part, but expect the answer not before monday.
>
> I really have to apologize, I am an archaeologist, and there is a lot to
> learn, sometimes I do not find the right starting point. So I will check the
> links you sent me:
>

> Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:
> >
> > To your question: no, I don't think TTCs will work without XML font
> > metrics in FOP 0.95.
> >
> > Please take a look at:
> > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/changes.html#Changes+to+the+Font+Subsystem
> > There have been a number of improvements on font support, namely also an
> > improvement for TTCs concerning auto-detection, in FOP Trunk. When
> > configuring a single sub-font of a TTC, Trunk also contains an
> > improvement:
> > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#truetype-collections-metrics
> > (see the "sub-font" attribute on )
> >

> Thanks a lot!
> Maria

Jeremias Maerki

Re: .ttc fonts with version 0.95 (no metric files?)

Posted by Maria2009 <ma...@shinoto.de>.
Hello,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Maria,

what exactly didn't work creating the metric files for a TTC?

To your question: no, I don't think TTCs will work without XML font
metrics in FOP 0.95.

Please take a look at: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/changes.html#Changes+to+the+Font+Subsystem
There have been a number of improvements on font support, namely also an
improvement for TTCs concerning auto-detection, in FOP Trunk. When
configuring a single sub-font of a TTC, Trunk also contains an
improvement:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#truetype-collections-metrics
(see the "sub-font" attribute on <font>)

On 28.02.2009 04:03:53 Maria2009 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> until now I used the FOP renderer without creating a metric file, just with
> .ttf files. Now I have to use .ttc files as well, and I wonder, whether
> these work like the .ttf files.
>
> - When I just inserted them in the config and my XSL-FO file, they did not
> work.
> - Trying to create a metric file (with -ttcname) did not work, but I will
> ask at another helpful place for this.
>
> Question: Can I use .tcc fonts without creating a metric file, and what do I
> have to do to get it working?
>
> Thanks!
> Maria

Jeremias Maerki