Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Pritesh saharey <pr...@sqatester.com> on 2004/02/03 06:35:07 UTC

RE: BUILD ENGINEER

Thank you everybody for putting there comeents and views on what a BUILD or RELEASE engineer is to the organisation...

Thank you very much

Pritesh Saharey
BE(Mech)
Software Engineer
Apsora(Ind.)Pvt. Ltd., Pune
http://www.apsora.com
http://in.geocities.com/priteshsaharey/

--- "Anderson, Rob (Global Trade)" <Ro...@nike.com> wrote:
I have worked as a release engineer for several companies. It involves maintaining the version control system, bug tracking system, build files, and project build, release, and deployment process. There is a lot of automation to be done and if you do it right, you can reuse the same process (or slight deviations) for every project in an organization. A release engineer also spends time convincing developers to develop and version code in such a way that facilitates deployment to all the environments. Sometimes developers cannot see beyond their own desktops. I have often found that the last person to touch the code is the first person contacted when it is broken. Therefore, a release engineer is wise to get to know the apps and the environments that they run in. Although supporting the environments that you deploy to may not be a part of the job of a release engineer, you look like a hero when you catch and fix issues as the arise.

-Rob Anderson.