Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Celeste Haseltine <CH...@unifocus.com> on 2003/11/12 22:10:47 UTC

Changing ALL Binary DataTypes to Image in MS SQLServer Turbine ge nerated SQL script

We have been testing out an existing JDBC driver for MS SQLServer 2000 that
my client has purchased from net-direct, called JSQLConnect.  Initially, the
driver threw an error when we attempted to log into Jetspeed.  One of my
team mates discovered that the Torque generated Turbine scripts contain the
following datatype for the field listed below:

            OBJECTDATA BINARY(7132) NULL,

Apparently, this JDBC driver will throw an error when it hits the Binary
datatype, although the JDBC driver put out by MS does not.  When he changed
the Binary datatypes to Image datatypes in the script, the net-direct driver
was able to run Jetspeed out of the box.  The tables that we would need to
change the Objectdata field from binary to image in order to accommodate
this JDBC driver are Turbine_user, Turbine_Role, Turbine_Group, and
Turbine_permission.  Please note that we will be extending the User class
(ie the user table) to accommodate additional data fields unique to our
project.

Does anyone see any problems with us permanently changing this objectdata
field in the tables listed above from a binary datatype to an image datatype
in order to accommodate this JDBC driver?  If it was my decision, I would
find another driver.  But the client will receive a substantial discount if
he upgrades to version 3.0 of the net-direct driver and the VP would prefer
to stay with this vendor's driver if he can.

My thanks in advance for any advice, experience, or other words of wisdom.

Celeste Haseltine, PE