Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Erik Drolshammer <dr...@idi.ntnu.no> on 2007/02/27 12:59:39 UTC

Using java1.6 with java1.5 source

Rémy Sanlaville wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Be aware of that configuration [1]
>
>      <plugin>
>        <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>        <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>        <configuration>
>          <source>1.4</source>
>          <target>1.4</target>
>        </configuration>
>      </plugin>

Hi!
My build fails if java1.6 is used instead of java1.5. (No java1.6
specific functionality is employed.)

Shouldn't the following configuration fix this?

<plugin>
     <configuration>
       <source>1.5</source>
       <target>1.5</target>
       <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
     </configuration>
</plugin>

If "yes", what else can be wrong?

--
Regards
Erik Drolshammer

Re: Using java1.6 with java1.5 source

Posted by Erik Drolshammer <dr...@idi.ntnu.no>.
Thorsten Heit wrote:
>>> What error messages do you get? Have you tried "mvn -e -X ..."?
>> http://rafb.net/p/4Hfl1t68.html
>>
>> The NotImplementedException I can fix, but the error regarding
>> org.apache.commons.validator remains a mystery to me.
>
> It seems you're missing a dependency in your pom.xml....:
>
> <dependencies>
>   <dependency>
>     <groupId>commons-validator</groupId>
>     <artifactId>commons-validator</groupId>
>     <version>1.3.1</version> <!-- or whatever version you need -->
>   </dependency>
> </dependencies>

I have this in my pom. The problem went away though when I removed an
exclusion (commons-validator) from another dependency. This dependency
doesn't use it, so it seems strange to me.

But it works, so all is good. :)
Thanks!

--
Regards
Erik

Re: Using java1.6 with java1.5 source

Posted by Thorsten Heit <th...@gmx.de>.
> > What error messages do you get? Have you tried "mvn -e -X ..."?
>
> http://rafb.net/p/4Hfl1t68.html
>
> The NotImplementedException I can fix, but the error regarding
> org.apache.commons.validator remains a mystery to me.

It seems you're missing a dependency in your pom.xml....:

<dependencies>
  <dependency>
    <groupId>commons-validator</groupId>
    <artifactId>commons-validator</groupId>
    <version>1.3.1</version> <!-- or whatever version you need -->
  </dependency>
</dependencies>

HTH

Thorsten

Re: Using java1.6 with java1.5 source

Posted by Erik Drolshammer <dr...@idi.ntnu.no>.

Posted by Thorsten Heit <th...@gmx.de>.
Hi Erik,

> My build fails if java1.6 is used instead of java1.5. (No java1.6
> specific functionality is employed.)
>
> Shouldn't the following configuration fix this?
>
> <plugin>
>    <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>      <configuration>
>        <source>1.5</source>
>        <target>1.5</target>
>        <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
>      </configuration>
> </plugin>

What error messages do you get? Have you tried "mvn -e -X ..."?

Cheers

Thorsten