Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Maximilian Gaerber <ma...@infolox.de> on 2009/01/12 11:33:43 UTC

area tree + custom attributes or elements

Hi,

is there an (easy) way to add custom attributes to a FO document that
would be preserved through the whole FOP process?

The idea is to get feedback about on what page (and position) a certain
block or other other content *would* come out in the output format (e.g.
PDF): Let's say I've got a block that should always be displayed on the
first half of the page. Now, when I generate, I'd have to search for
this block in the area tree in order to determine it's position... but
so far I don't know how to mark/identify such a block.

Regards,

Max

News des Monats: www.thermopal.de - E-Business Lösung mit System für Thermopal, eine Tochter der Pfleiderer AG: Neugestaltung, wegweisende Produktsuche und moderne Nutzerführung!

--
infolox GmbH
Maximilian Gärber

fon +49 8382 / 275 894-70
fax +49 8382 / 275 894-9
mob +49 176 / 20 10 33 24

mail maximilian.gaerber@infolox.de
www.infolox.de
www.selektofix.de
www.katalogfabrik.de
www.typo3-services.com

Rechtsform: Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Lindau a. B.
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Kempten
Registernummer: HRB 8161
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Bauhuis, Alexander Pircher, Richard Schmid

Re: area tree + custom attributes or elements

Posted by Maximilian Gaerber <ma...@infolox.de>.
Hi Jeremias,

thanks for the pointers!

The bigger picture of such an use case would be to have a more
interactive way of xsl fo generation. In automated publishing there's
always the big question of to what extend the users needs to interact
with/modify the output.

Right now there's only black and white. Generate PDF directly or
generate something that is editable (e.g. InDesign or Word etc.). Since
Word is not my first choice (for anything) and InDesign is quite a
complex beast, I'd find it most desirable to have a toolset that let's
the user define the contents he/she wants to publish and get immediate
feedback about the output- while still being able to change various
things concerning output/layout.

The intermediate format seems to be as close as you can get but the area
tree xml would need to be transformed to more abstract information e.g.
chapter XY starts on a left page (334). Then the user could decide to
insert a blank page or custom page (maybe an advertisement) to push the
chapter start on the next page and fill the empty space etc.

I know a lot of this already possible by defining it in XSL-FO but not
everything can be predefined...

Regards,

Max

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Re: AW: area tree + custom attributes or elements

Posted by Maximilian Gaerber <ma...@infolox.de>.
Hi Georg,

yes, id is being preserverd ( will be "prod-id" in area tree xml). For
simple cases this should do.

Regards,

Max

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.