Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com> on 2016/12/26 15:31:56 UTC

Question about the "prominent notice" about me changing the file

Hello,

The Apache License, Version 2.0, states:

     You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices
stating that You changed the files; and

My question is: does a "Copyright 2016 Me" line near the top of the file
qualify as a prominent notice that I changed it?  Since I am writing it
anyway, it would save me an inane "Modified by Me" line.

Thanks, Avi

Re: Question about the "prominent notice" about me changing the file

Posted by Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com>.
That's a given, but does not answer my question, which was: does a
copyright assertion count as a prominent notice requirement of ALv2?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 6:53 AM, Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com> wrote:
>> What is the license that you make an overall bundle (your changes +
>> original ALv2
>> code) available under?
>

> I am making my bundle available under two separate licenses (not
> concurrently), GNU AGPL v3+, and a commercial license.

Ok. So basically on the open source side the entire bundle will be licensed
under AGPL v3+ which will make the overall source bundle permanently
available for anybody to see.

No issue there, but what I was trying to get to is that given the potential
scrutiny you may well decide to be a nice open source citizen (and not just
do the very minimum required of you by the ALv2 terms).

This is the framing of the rest of my suggestions (and you should realize that
all you're getting on this thread are suggestions -- the final advice can only
be given to you by your attorney).

>> At any rate, even though IANAL, I believe that at a very minimum you
>> should
>> be saying "Portions Copyright 2016 Me" line near the top of the file".
>>
>> As a reader of a file that has a structure of:
>>
>> /* ALv2
>>   *
>>   * Copyright 2016 Me
>>   */
>>
>> would make me believe that the entire file is (c) you which may or may not
>> be the case.
>

> In Linux, people just assert their copyright, and never explicitly mention
> that it is just a portion they are copyrighting.  See 0515e5999 for an
> example; so I think it's clear there can be multiple authors.

Correct. But see above. All I'm saying is -- the easier you make it for me
as a casual reader to get the information I need as quickly as possible the
better it is. Here's an example of a reverse situation:
     https://github.com/apache/kudu/blob/master/thirdparty/README.txt

I like giving it because I truly feel that Kudu folks went above and beyond
what a permissive license (such as BSD/MIT would require) to be incorporated
into the overall ALv2 licensed code base: not only did they separate ALv2
changes into patches they apply on top of external code bases but they
also provided a README and LICENSE for me to feel really comfortable
about ingesting their work.

Of course, I can only use this example as an inspiration, a carrot if you will.
I think you'll be well within your right using the very minimum (c) notice.
Ultimately the choice is yours.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Question about the "prominent notice" about me changing the file

Posted by Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com>.

> Hi Avi ;-)

:-)

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The Apache License, Version 2.0, states:
>>
>>      You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
>> that You changed the files; and
>>
>> My question is: does a "Copyright 2016 Me" line near the top of the file
>> qualify as a prominent notice that I changed it?  Since I am writing it
>> anyway, it would save me an inane "Modified by Me" line.
> What is the license that you make an overall bundle (your changes +
> original ALv2
> code) available under?

I am making my bundle available under two separate licenses (not
concurrently), GNU AGPL v3+, and a commercial license.

I would this to apply not only to the bundle, but also to individual
changes within the modified files.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Hi Avi ;-)

Posted by Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com>.
Well, in these legal matters it's the chain of reasoning that matters,
and I'm afraid I'm more confused now than before I started the thread.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com>.

On 12/27/2016 04:42 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 12:37 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@scylladb.com
> <ma...@scylladb.com>> wrote:
>
>>     Speaking as a reader of code, I like to see the history when
>>     necessary.
>
>     Isn't that stored in the version control system?
>

> Not necessarily in the version control system that your modified code
> is sitting in.
>
> I meant it would be nice to have an explicit pointer back to the
> Apache project. A URL.

Oh, but there's no point in repeating it in every file.  I have it once
in the top-level directory.

>     But that doesn't answer my question.  As far as I can tell, I'm
>     not allowed to remove the license blurb and replace it with my
>     license.  Is that incorrect?
>

> You are allowed to relicense the software.
>
> You are also required to prominently mark files that you have changed.
> The easiest way to do so is to preserve the old header and add your own.

I don't see how preserving the old header prominently marks it as modified.

 From the license:

     You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that
You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution
notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that
do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and

Since the blurb begins

  * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
  * or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file

which is a copyright notice, it seems to me that I must preserve it.

>>     My IDE hides the details until I need them so 1 line or 50 makes
>>     no difference to me as a reader. The Apache header is pretty
>>     short anyway.
>>
>>     I also like to know where I can find the previous versions of the
>>     code.
>>

>     Use the version control system for that project?
>

> As I mentioned, the version control system for the code I am looking
> at may not have the necessary history.

Well, that doesn't justify keeping random blurbs in the code.  Look at
the right version control system if you're interested in history.

Re: Question about the "prominent notice" about me changing the file

Posted by Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com>.
Thanks, this is very helpful, more below.

On 12/28/2016 04:06 AM, Alex Harui wrote:
> I am not a lawyer and even though a lawyer told me the following, it is
> not legal advice:
>
>    Headers don't change the licensing or copyright
>    of the source code, they are only convenience
>    sign posts as to the licensing or copyright.
>
> If I understand the question, it is about the minimum attribution that
> Apache requires in derivative works.

Not really, the question of whether I'm allowed to remove the ALv2 blurb
arose in conversion but was not my original question.  My own opinion is
that I'm not allowed to do it, because it is this blurb that gives me
the rights to copy and modify the code.

My question was, rephrased:

   "Right now, for every file that I modify, I am adding three separate
items of information:

     1. A "modified by me" line, as required by ALv2, the "prominent
notice"?
     2. A "copyright me" line, to assert my own rights
     3. A new license for the combined work.

   Does item 2 (my own copyright) satisfy the "prominent notice"
requirement?  It just feels inane to have two such similar lines."

>    IMO, that question can be thought of
> in two ways:
>
> 1) What would be too minimal that the ASF would get upset and ask you to
> do more.
> 2) What would be too minimal that customers may not use your software
> because they aren't sure it is derived from Apache software?
>
> IMO, you should have the ASF header in every file, and the NOTICE that
> came with the original ASF source.  Then it would never be considered too
> minimal and customers would see what they expect.  The ASF header can be
> before or after your copyright/license.  I can't image the ASF getting
> upset about that or customers getting confused by that.

That's what I expect and what I do.  I don't have any wish to remove the
Apache blurb.

However, I would like to make it clear that the modified file is not
licensed under ALv2, just the original.  Is there an accepted way to do
this?

> Also, IMO, you cannot change the licensing and copyright of the lines of
> code that you don't touch, but you can use a different license on the
> lines you do touch.  Hence, except for substantial rewrites you'll have
> lots of ASF code in your source.

We are talking about a substantial rewrite.  There is a lot more
non-Apache code than Apache code in this project.

> In this world of GitHub where it is easy for folks to grab single files, I
> like the idea of headers in each file.  I cannot offer any opinion on
> whether the ASF would get on your case if you don't do that.

That was not my concern; I'm not trying to reduce attribution and am not
worried about this at all.

> My 2 cents,
> -Alex

Thanks!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I am not a lawyer and even though a lawyer told me the following, it is
not legal advice:

  Headers don't change the licensing or copyright
  of the source code, they are only convenience
  sign posts as to the licensing or copyright.

If I understand the question, it is about the minimum attribution that
Apache requires in derivative works.  IMO, that question can be thought of

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com>.

On 12/27/2016 02:47 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote on Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 10:37:50 +0200:
>> But that doesn't answer my question.  As far as I can tell, I'm not allowed
>> to remove the license blurb and replace it with my license.
> That's my reading of �4(c) too.  Why would you want to remove the ALv2
> blurb?

I don't and never said I did.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com> wrote:

> b) mention that the file was previously under the Apache license
>

> I can't just remove the Apache license, can I?  Right now, files that I
> modify contain both the original license and the license for my
> modifications.

Speaking as a reader of code, I like to see the history when necessary. My

Posted by Avi Kivity <av...@scylladb.com>.
On 12/26/2016 11:18 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@scylladb.com
> <ma...@scylladb.com>> wrote:
>
>     My question is: does a "Copyright 2016 Me" line near the top of
>     the file qualify as a prominent notice that I changed it?  Since I
>     am writing it anyway, it would save me an inane "Modified by Me" line.
>

> Sounds right.

Thanks.

> While you are specifying the copyright, it would be nice if you
>
> a) specify what license you are releasing your code under

Well, of course I do.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.