Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by rajgopalv <ra...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/17 16:01:27 UTC

Multiple directories for hadoop

I have a doubt in configuring dfs.data.dir,

One of my slave has 4 500GB harddisks. They are mounted on different mount
points : /data1 /data2 /data3 /data4
How can i make use of all the 4 harddisks for hdfs data and local jobcahe ?

if i give comma seperated values for dfs.data.dir, will the total data be
replicated on all the 4 disks? , or the total data will be shared on the 4
disks (without replication) ?

And, how to increase the space for local jobcache?
http://www.mail-archive.com/core-user@hadoop.apache.org/msg04346.html
says hadoop.tmp.dir cannot be comma seperated.  But my mapreduce jobs will
eat a lot of jobcache in the local.

How should the configurartion be for the above scenario?

Re: Multiple directories for hadoop

Posted by Eric <er...@gmail.com>.
Hadoop knows that these are seperate disks (don't ask me how).
BTW,I would mount under something like /mnt/hadoop/disk[0...n]
In the latest Hadoop release from Cloudera for example, they say this:

"In CDH3 Beta 3, the mapred.system.dir directory must be located inside a
directory that is owned by mapred. For
example, if mapred.system.dir is specified as /mapred/system, then /mapred
must be owned by mapred. Don't,
for example, specify /mrsystem as mapred.system.dir because you don't want /
owned by mapred."

Posted by shixing <pa...@gmail.com>.