Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tomasz Chmielewski <ma...@interia.pl> on 2004/06/28 14:37:48 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_proxy - will Apache try to establish a compressed connection?

Hello,

I was wondering, if Apache 2 was set up to work as a forward proxy,
using mod_proxy - will it then try to establish a compressed connection
to remote web servers (of course if they also support it), and thus,
speed up delivery of some pages to LAN clients?

Regards,

Tomek Chmielewski

Re: [users@httpd] New apache user needing advice

Posted by Tim Burden <ti...@burden.ca>.
Install the apache binary for win2k, stick some html files in the document
root and tell us what happens then.

But I echo what others have already said, you'll probably have more fun in
life just getting a cheap web host and letting them worry about stuff.

Or were you wanting to do something a cheap web host can't do for you?

Re: [users@httpd] New apache user needing advice

Posted by Christopher Nash <bi...@yahoo.com>.
I'm in the same boat :)

I want to host a few sites for friends and family. I would like them to be able to manage their owne sites and be able to connect to the sever and dow what they need to.

My setup is as follows,

Mandrake linux 9.1
P3 800, 256mb ram, 40gig harddrive
Currently running Samba and unsing the box as a file server for my home network.

DNS will need to be off anohter server
This box never powered down and is on UPS with the Cable router and Modem

I got the box Apache for Dummies but still confused since I'm a full time windows user wanting so bad to convert without a major learning curve.

Any help would be greatly apreciated!!!

Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

You will not have a problem finding that kind of help here. You need
to let the list know are you running, Linux, Unix (*BSD), Windows,
Mac (Apple OS X).

What else you are trying to do. If you can give a little more information
we (Group) will be happy to help.

What are you trying to do?

Are you looking to set up a server for one site, ten sites, hosting company,etc??

What have you done already?

Do you have your own DNS, or are going to use one of the services to get your
DNS from?

What kind of IP address are you using?

Do you have Cable, DSL, T1, etc?

Did you check with your ISP and see if you ARE ALLOWED to run a server
on your line. (Most cable companies will not allow this at all..)

I think we can start there and then we can start to point you in the
correct direction..

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy - will Apache try to establish a compressed connection?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> I was wondering, if Apache 2 was set up to work as a forward proxy,
> using mod_proxy - will it then try to establish a compressed connection
> to remote web servers (of course if they also support it), and thus,
> speed up delivery of some pages to LAN clients?

It will forward the browser's headers, so if the browser says
"Accept-Encoding: gzip" then so will the proxy.

Unless you explicitly configure it to do otherwise.  See the mod_deflate
documentation (and bug someone, possibly me, to update it) if you want
to do something else.

--
Nick Kew