Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/16 14:45:36 UTC

Question about component dependency related to the BI (Business Intelligence)

Hi all,

I am reviewing the stuff I did some time ago in the "bi" component
(Business Intelligence, in specialpurpose) and I would like to start
to clean up/enhance a few that prototype.

As a first step I would like to separate the lower level services
(like the generic ones that are used to translate operational keys
into olap keys) for BI from the ones related to specific applications:
all the artifacts that are application specific (entities, services
and ecas) will be moved to the proper component.

The doubt I have is this: since the higher level component will use
the lower level services defined in the specialpurpose/bi component,
this will create a bad dependency from applications to specialpurpose...

What is the best way to fix this? Move part of the bi services into
the framework? move the bi component into the framework? or for now,
since the code there is since a prototype, keep everything into bi (as
is now) and postpone this re-factoring?

Thanks,

Jacopo

Re: Question about component dependency related to the BI (Business Intelligence)

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
when I did olap for some other software, we used libraries as you suggest.
it has been a decade or so since I did anything like this so I will have
 go over the code i wrote in another language to see exactly what I did :)
My "off the top response" would be to put it the datafile folder since
it has to do with data warehousing or interfacing to data.

Jacopo Cappellato sent the following on 7/16/2008 5:45 AM:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>
[big snip]

>> David, I can confirm that the existing simple reporting application
>> in the BI component is meta-data driven, no application specific
>> stuff is in it. so that wouldn't be an issue.
>> Or maybe we could just move the screens from the BI application to
>> the Webtools, and move the bi component (without webapp) to the
>> framework.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> It might be nice to have a separate app... we may eventually want to
> add lots of cool stuff to this, like a fancy AJAX report builder where
> you can create view-entities and forms on the fly and such... ;)
>
> -David

+1 :D

Jacques

Re: Question about component dependency related to the BI (Business Intelligence)

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrique Ruibal <er...@prodigy.net.mx>.
+1 I think it should be in the framework too..

-Enrique Ruibal

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.