Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste <Je...@montrealboutique.com> on 2008/04/01 03:59:29 UTC

Classloader issue

Hello,

I have decided to <upgrade> from a good old plain Web Container (Tomcat) to
Geronimo and I’m having issues with the way the classloader for my WebApp
loads the classes…

Under Tomcat the classloader would look for classes in this order (resource:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html)

*	Bootstrap classes of your JVM
*	System class loader classses (described above)
*	/WEB-INF/classes of your web application
*	/WEB-INF/lib/*.jar of your web application
*	$CATALINA_HOME/lib
*	$CATALINA_HOME/lib/*.jar

Now with Geronimo 2.0.1 (the version I use, have not tried another version)
and Tomcat (6.0) it seems that this order is NOT respected. The classes
defined in my *.jar in under WEB-INF/lib always takes precedence over the
ones in WEB-INF/classes

I have created a simple WAR file with one jar under WEB-INF/lib that
contains a class. I then defined the same class under WEB-INF/classes and I
can see that it is always the class defined into the jar that is used at run
time.

Is this a normal behavior for Tomcat under Geronimo? Am I doing something
wrong ?

Regards,

Jean-Baptiste

Checked by AVG.