Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID> on 2021/10/05 20:00:52 UTC

Compatibility of new releases with older operating systems

Dear All,

do we have a list of the operating systems' releases that we want to
support for each AOO release?

For example: what is the oldest Windows version that AOO 4.1.X must
support? And 4.2?
And what about macOS versions?

I think I remember a thread from some months ago discussing compilers,
but I could not find it from the archives.

If a comprehensive page does not exist, I suggest we make it into our
(c)wiki. I would be interested to use it as a compilers' and build
tools compatibility matrix.

Thank you in advance to whoever will give me any pointers,
--
Arrigo

Re: Compatibility of new releases with older operating systems

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
For Linux it's hard, because it depends on so many factors, such as kernel
version, libc versions, etc... Also, you can build a stripped down version
on older platforms that lack new libraries, or build against a new OS and
include all the bells and whistles.

The best we've been able to come up with is a minimum OS for the
community builds, and use that as a gauge for oldest supported system.

For the 4.1.x builds this has been CentOS5 for the Linux32/64 systems
and OSX 10.7 for the mac.

For the 4.2.x versions, this has been bumped to CentOS7 and OS X 10.9

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Dear Dave, All,

thank you for all the replies to this thread.

On Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 03:58:32PM -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:

> We have these pages:
> https://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo40.html
[...]

I understand there are plenty of "minimum system requirements"
scattered around the web site.

I was looking for something more developer-oriented. I made an attempt
here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Target+System+Requirements
I think that the other pages miss information about glibc and C and
C++ standards, that are very important when dealing with external
libraries (such as the latest expat upgrade).

I am not happy to add another page to the big number of existing ones,
so I am open to suggestions about wich of the existing pages shall
rather incorporate that information.

I also ask other ``C and C++ proficient'' people here to kindly check
that the data on the page is accurate.

Best regards,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
We have these pages:
https://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo40.html
https://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo41.html (System requirements on download page)
https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org/tree/main/content/dev_docs/source
https://www.openoffice.org/download/platform_hints.html
https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org/blob/main/assets/download/msg_prop_l10n_en.js (requirements as text which may be translated)
Most of the whole dev_docs directory is completely out of date, but the md files are “on track".

We also have current specs in three md files here although they seem to be detached.

https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org/tree/main/content/product
https://www.openoffice.org/product/

I’d like to see

new pages in dev_docs/source/ for aoo42 and trunk
A requirements page in product to replace linux.md, mac.md, and windows.md
Tie the product requirements page to the download pages somehow.

I think that Jim wanted to have macOS 10.9 as the new base: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r6a775ab1c7dfcdb6f85c1fbe22abdba2045ec9cff90900842843fc12%40%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E

> It's good that we strive to support old OS's but there is a point where a new release will have to drop something just to keep going.

I think that the arguments differ for Linux flavors and Windows versions.

> Thanks for bringing this up.

+1.

Regards,
Dave