Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by David Cargill <ca...@ca.ibm.com> on 2005/08/07 19:57:52 UTC

Proposal for XercesC 2.7 Release for late August

Hi,
There have been many bug fixes since we put out XercesC 2.6 and since the
bulk of the new development is going on with the XercesC 3.0 branch I think
it is good a time to put out a XercesC 2.7 release.

I will suggest that we should try to publish this by the end of August, and
in the mean time try and fix as many outstanding bugs as possible before
Friday August 26 at noon EST (when I propose to do the build).

Here is my +1.

Regards,
David A. Cargill
XML Parser Development

Re: Proposal for XercesC 2.7 Release for late August

Posted by Marcus Mohr <mm...@lse.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>.

  Hello David,

> I just attached a patch to jira bug xercesc-1252.  Can you please look at
> it?  I don't have IRIX or UnixWare systems so don't want to break
> anything...

  I have tested the patch on xerces 2.6.0 on the IRIX in our compute
  center. After some minor modifications (see the new comment/patch
  to the bug report) it seemed to work without any trouble.

  Thanks for your work
  Marcus

        Marcus Mohr
   @>   Sensor Technology   -   University Erlangen-Nuremberg
  /?    e-mail ... Marcus.Mohr@lse.eei.uni-erlangen.de
   |\   Tel ...... 09131 / 85 - 23147
        www ...... http://www.lse.uni-erlangen.de/

Re: Proposal for XercesC 2.7 Release for late August

Posted by David Cargill <ca...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Marcus,
I just attached a patch to jira bug xercesc-1252.  Can you please look at
it?  I don't have IRIX or UnixWare systems so don't want to break
anything...

Regards,
David A. Cargill
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
(905) 413-2371, tie 969
cargilld@ca.ibm.com

             Marcus Mohr
             <mmohr@lse.e-tech
             nik.uni-erlangen.                                          To
             de>                       c-dev@xerces.apache.org
                                                                        cc
             08/23/2005 12:23
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Re: Proposal for XercesC 2.7
                                       Release for late August
             Please respond to
                   c-dev

> I will suggest that we should try to publish this by the end of August,
and
> in the mean time try and fix as many outstanding bugs as possible before
> Friday August 26 at noon EST (when I propose to do the build).

  is there any chance that the compilation problem under MIPSpro and
  UnixWare, related to the auto inclusion of headers of template classes,
  can get fixed for version 2.7.0?

  The solution requires only to pass an additional compiler option.

  For details see bug report XERCESC-1252 and its comments.

  Regards
  Marcus Mohr

Posted by Marcus Mohr <mm...@lse.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>.

Posted by James Berry <ja...@jberry.us>.
+1 from me.

(By the way, I'm mostly back from my vacations now, so I'll be
getting back on Xerces 3 in coming weeks...)

-jdb

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
+1 also for me.

Alberto

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1 from me.

Neil Graham/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 08/08/2005 04:57:42 PM:

> Hi Dave and all,
>
> This sounds like a good idea to me.  It will enable the community to
focus
> on 3.0 and leave the 2.7 code base in as stable a condition as possible
> for people who don't want to stay on the "bleeding edge".  +1.
>
> By CC to PMC, please give this proposal the "official" nod!
>
> Cheers,
> Neil
> Neil Graham
> XML Parser Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
> E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com
>

> David Cargill/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
> 08/07/2005 01:57 PM
> Please respond to
> c-dev

> c-dev@xerces.apache.org
> cc
>
> Subject
> Proposal for XercesC 2.7 Release for late August
>

> Hi,
> There have been many bug fixes since we put out XercesC 2.6 and since
the
> bulk of the new development is going on with the XercesC 3.0 branch I
> think
> it is good a time to put out a XercesC 2.7 release.
>
> I will suggest that we should try to publish this by the end of August,
> and
> in the mean time try and fix as many outstanding bugs as possible before
> Friday August 26 at noon EST (when I propose to do the build).
>
> Here is my +1.
>
> Regards,
> David A. Cargill
> XML Parser Development

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: Proposal for XercesC 2.7 Release for late August

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@kolpackov.net>.
Gareth,

Gareth Reakes <ga...@parthenoncomputing.com> writes:

> Sure, will do. Anyone else have any pressing need for a specific bug
> to be fixed?

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESC-1456

While this bug report has been resolved as "Won't Fix", I still believe
that it is a valid bug report. Just because the spec has a hole doesn't
mean the implementation should blindly duplicate it. Perhaps other could
look into this.

thanks,
-boris

Re: Proposal for XercesC 2.7 Release for late August

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@parthenoncomputing.com>.
Hey,

On 8 Aug 2005, at 22:05, Scott Cantor wrote:

>> I will suggest that we should try to publish this by the end of
>> August,
>> and in the mean time try and fix as many outstanding bugs as
>> possible before Friday August 26 at noon EST (when I propose to do
>> the
>>
> build).
>
> Could I humbly request that somebody apply the trivial fix for bug
> 1240
> (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESC-1240) so that
> xml:lang will
> work? The patch is right there...

Sure, will do. Anyone else have any pressing need for a specific bug
to be fixed?

Gareth

> -- Scott

Gareth Reakes, Managing Director      Parthenon Computing
+44-1865-811184                  http://www.parthcomp.com

RE: Proposal for XercesC 2.7 Release for late August

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.

Posted by David Cargill <ca...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi,
The vote has carried with +6.

Just a reminder that the target build date is next Friday at noon (August
26 at noon EST).

BTW, a couple of platform changes for 2.7:
-Instead of WinNT with MSVC6.0 use Windows 2000 with MSVC6.0
-Instead of Red Hat 8.0 use RHEL 4.0

Regards,
David A. Cargill
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
(905) 413-2371, tie 969
cargilld@ca.ibm.com

             David
             Cargill/Toronto/I
             BM@IBMCA                                                   To
                                       c-dev@xerces.apache.org
             08/07/2005 01:57                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Proposal for XercesC 2.7 Release
             Please respond to         for late August
                   c-dev