Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/03 06:36:33 UTC

[Mentors][Windows] Updating Windows launchers

Hi,

NetBeans has native Windows launchers to start on Windows, and we needed to
update them. So I tried here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/573

As it is the first time we are doing this in Apache, I'd be grateful if:
-mentors could check the approach is OK
-Windows users would check all works (I tried on my Windows, but I only
have a single installation).

Thanks,
    Jan

Re: [Mentors][Windows] Updating Windows launchers

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Jan,

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:53 AM Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Any idea how to move that forward? It would be  awesome if we could compile
> our launchers and not use the legacy ones....

Doesn't LEGAL-390 answer your concerns?

IANAL but it sounds like with the right information in your LICENCE
file, maybe something like "the launcher binaries are redistributed
according to https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/license.html"
it should be ok to redistribute those binary launchers.

Assuming that's done as part of convenience binaries as opposed to the
NetBeans source code release.

-Bertrand

Re: [Mentors][Windows] Updating Windows launchers

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Jan,

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 11:45 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 8:36 AM, Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >... NetBeans has native Windows launchers to start on Windows, and we
> needed to
> > update them. So I tried here:
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/573 ...
>
> Can you summarize what the mentor-related issue is? Distributing
> binaries instead of source code? Something else?

IDE sources contain launcher sources, and IDE binaries contain launcher
binaries (downloaded at build time), as we do now, so no big difference
there, I think.

The two main questions here are related to stuff against which the lauchers
are build and liked:

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Jan,