Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Colm McCartan <co...@owl.co.uk> on 2001/11/23 13:08:21 UTC

upload service: help!

Hello all,

Sorry to be so lame about this but I just can't get around this. Despite working
like a charm last week, the file uppload functionality in our webapp is
currently (somewhat) broken. Weirdly, a colleague finds that it works fine on
his machine (his own server etc.) A diff on our source trees shows no
differences whatsoever...

I have wrapped the specific fileitem.write in a try catch and there are no
exceptions being thrown and nothing untoward being logged. The file reports an
accurate size just before writing. There is lots of room on the disk. And the
files are zero-length. No idea why.

Does anyone know of *any* gotchas here or other things to look at? I said
something in my last post about hearing rumours of some problem with extracting
the fileItem from the RunData parameter parser more than once - has anyone heard
of this?

Basically, any pointers, ideas or hunches gratefully received as I am at my wits
end with this one..

We are currently using TDK 2.1 i.e. catalina 4.0-b6-dev, activation-1.0.1.jar on
jdk 1.3.0_02

TIA,
colm

Re: Turbine and application servers

Posted by Ian Lim <ma...@yahoo.com.sg>.
Hi

Thinking of clarifying this point: Turbine actually can be use
without the activation of its database features.

I have built my website (http://www.webappcabaret.com/mallim)
based on Turbine/Velocity/DOM4J as a way
to integrate my blogging which are in the form of XML files.

In this case, a couple of pull tools and several services ( pull, logging,
velocity, FSD etc ),
plays a huge part at the whole website. Well, you can say that
this is an unorthodox usage of Turbine. But it still demonstrates that
Turbine could be use without database persistence.

BTW, do I need to have any permission to copy and paste some of the comments
from this mailling list to my blog? It serves as my reference and perhaps
can be helpful to
some other people who is looking into subjects like XP, AgileModelling,
JUnit Turbine and Castor.

Regards
Ian Lim
http://www.webappcabaret.com/mallim

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"Ian Lim" <ma...@yahoo.com.sg> writes:

> BTW, do I need to have any permission to copy and paste some of the
> comments from this mailling list to my blog? It serves as my
> reference and perhaps can be helpful to some other people who is
> looking into subjects like XP, AgileModelling, JUnit Turbine and
> Castor.

Hi Ian.  It seems reasonable to me that content from this mailing list
could be used in a manner complying with the spirit of the Apache
Software License.  As long as you reference the original author, I
doubt Turbine list participants would have a problem with it.

Re: Turbine and application servers

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 11/23/01 9:22 AM, "Craig Raw" <cr...@quirk.co.za> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been investigating the differences between Turbine and Struts over
> the past few days, with the view to finding a good servlet framework that
> can be used with the JBoss application server. It seems to me that you
> cannot use Turbine without a database, as it is essential for such tasks as
> security and session tracking.

This is certainly true of turbine 2.x as we only have one concrete
implemenation of the security system and that's for use with databases, but
you can still make your own. And in turbine 3.x this will be much simpler as
well.

> This means that for each new server installation the turbine tables will
> need to be recreated, which is not as simple a process as with JBoss's
> hot-deploy container management.

Again with turbine 2.x this could be a problem, but we have had reports of
Turbine working successfully within a j2ee environment. And it will be a lot
easier with turbine 3.x.

> Also, I understand that Turbine was first
> released in a non-J2EE world, but if one is already doing database
> manipulation with JBoss it seems inefficient to use Turbine Security over
> JBossSX.

You could write a backend security implementation that delegates to JBossSX
if you wished.

> Please note that I am not flaming Turbine in any way,

No problem, I'd be the first to admit the many limitations Turbine may have
but we're working on getting rid of all of them :-)

> it seems a
> great end-to-end web application solution, but the advantages of EJB's with
> regard to robustness and scalability makes me lean to encapsulating all
> database work within their confines.

Sure if that's what you require that's cool. Most of us here tend to shy
away from EJBs but I would like to have Turbine integrate well j2ee
eventually.

> If Velocity was integrated into Struts
> in some way, it would seem an ideal solution.

Geir has already started this effort. I don't believe there is a complete
solution but it's getting there.

> If I am incorrect in my findings above or have missed anything, please let
> me know. What framework do you find best in the application server context?

Never used on myself so I don't know, but I know people have done it with
Turbine.

> Regards,
> Craig Raw

jvz.