Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org> on 2013/01/31 17:53:06 UTC

Dell Hardware

Hello all,

Does anyone run Hadoop on Dell R720 model of servers? Dell site lists C2100 model of servers as best fit for Hadoop workloads. What does community recommend?

Artem Ervits
New York Presbyterian Hospital

--------------------

This electronic message is intended to be for the use only of the named recipient, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error or are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender at the electronic mail address noted above, and delete and destroy all copies of this message.  Thank you.

--------------------

Re: Dell Hardware

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
We have tested both machines in our labs at MapR and both work well.  Both
run pretty hot so you need to keep a good eye on that.

The R720 will have higher wattage per unit of storage due to the smaller
number of drives per chassis.  That may be a good match for ordinary Hadoop
due to the lower I/O efficiency, but with higher performance distributions
like MapR, you will probably do better on combined acquisition, ops and
power costs per terabyte with the C2100 series.

As you do your selection, you need to determine what your primary
constraint will be.  Will it be storage size?  I/O rates?  Compute load?

Once you have that figured out, the hardware selection should fall out
directly from a TCO analysis that looks at the different scenarios.

Re: Dell Hardware

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Dell Hardware

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.