Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com> on 2013/03/06 01:56:44 UTC

Re: [Discuss] Support for multiple ip ranges.

The FS is confusing. createVlanIpRange is used for shared networks and
public networks. There should be separate sections detailing the usecases
for basic zone and advanced zone.
What about removing ip ranges?
Api parameters description, format, range should be provided
Error conditions should be described.

Posted by Bharat Kumar <bh...@citrix.com>.
Hi Chiradeep,

I think you are asking about the changes I am going to make to assign IPs considering the multiple subnets associated to a network.
(Earlier i thought you were asking if i provide a way to choose a subnet for allocation.)

So this is how i plan to handle the IP allocation.
if user has specified the  IP.
1.) If the user specifies the IP, check the cidr to which it belongs if it dose not belong to any existing cidr throw an error.
2.) check if the IP requested is available, exit if not available.
3.) assign the IP.

 If the user dose not specify any IP.
1.) Allocate form the first subnet which has free IPs.

Also we do not allow addition of a subnet which is superset of the existing subnet.

Bharat.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Bharat Kumar <bh...@citrix.com>.
Hi Chiradeep,

Thanks for your suggestions. Please find my comments inline.

On Mar 9, 2013, at 5:12 AM, Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:

> We may not need to add another nic on the dhcp server for distinct
> subnets.
>
> Since they are on the same physical media, the dnsmasq should see dhcp
> requests from all subnets on that physical media (vlan or untagged vlan).
> Dnsmasq can handle this. See
> https://caffeine-powered.net/tech/networking/dnsmasq-dns-multiple-subnets-a
> nd-static-hosts/
> and
> http://www.clearfoundation.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,232/catid
> ,28/func,view/id,14979/
>

> You could just add another virtual interface (eth0:1) without needing any
> hot plug of nics.
> Also this should be necessary only when you add vm with an ip on the new
> subnet. It should not be in the flow of executing this api (which is
> synchronous)

As you suggested we will be crating a new ip alias instead of a new nic.
Also we create the alias when first IP form the new subnet is allocated.

> I'm guessing there is some change in the logic for assigning a guest or
> management ip address (in order to select from the new subnet / range)

In case if the admin wants to specify the ip that will be allotted to a guest vm he can mention it as a part of DeployVm API.
currently we don't have any way to do this for management ip addresses. I don't	know the use case in which this will be required.

> Are you proposing an editpod API? Or are you re-using the updatePod API?

I intend to reuse the update pod command to add the pod IPs .

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.