Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sean Proctor <sp...@ccs.neu.edu> on 2002/04/03 05:01:01 UTC

running out of file descriptors w/ 1.3.12

the server my site is hosted on is running Apache/1.3.12
(Unix) mod_perl/1.24 ApacheJServ/1.1.2 on Solaris 8 (according to
netcraft).  the server tells me it's SunOS 5.8 when I log in, perhaps
netcraft is confused.  Anyway, my problem is that ever week or two the
server runs out of file descriptors and I have to ask the webmaster to
restart the server.  he said he wrote a script to quadruple the number of
file descriptors, but the problem persists.  the site is
www.psa.neu.edu.  He blames it on my page which I believe is the only one
using SSI and virtual includes.  Has anyone experienced this problem and
know the cause and hopefully a solution?

thanks,
Sean

Re: running out of file descriptors w/ 1.3.12

Posted by Pietro Cagnoni <pc...@mclink.net>.
Sean Proctor wrote:
 > the server my site is hosted on is running Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)
 > mod_perl/1.24 ApacheJServ/1.1.2 on Solaris 8 (according to netcraft).
 > the server tells me it's SunOS 5.8 when I log in, perhaps netcraft
 > is confused.  Anyway, my problem is that ever week or two the server
 > runs out of file descriptors and I have to ask the webmaster to restart
 > the server.  he said he wrote a script to quadruple the number of file
 > descriptors, but the problem persists.  the site is www.psa.neu.edu.
 > He blames it on my page which I believe is the only one using SSI
 > and virtual includes.  Has anyone experienced this problem and know
 > the cause and hopefully a solution?
 >
 > thanks, Sean

if JServ means java, remember the java garbage collector does NOT work
for file descriptors (the memory area the file descriptor written in is
freed, but the file is NOT guaranteed to be closed).

anything based on cgi can't be involved, because it's a separate process.

mod_perl could be guilty too, but it's more difficult to leave open
files because of how the garbage collector works.

the quick and dirty solution is decrease MaxRequestsPerChild.

hope it helps.

pietro.

Re: running out of file descriptors w/ 1.3.12

Posted by Bill -Sx- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.
> Solaris 8 (according to netcraft).  the server tells me it's SunOS 5.8
> when I log in, perhaps netcraft is confused.

BTW -

Solaris 8 and SunOS 5.8 are the same :)

-Sx-  :]
My new personal quote:
Be alert!  The world needs more Lerts!  :)