Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com> on 2019/01/18 15:16:59 UTC

Apache ecs module dependency

Hi guys,

Looking at cleaning up some old code and dependencies in Turbine.  There
is a reference to ecs which has been in the attic since 2010.  There are
just a handful of classes that utilize this library:

org.apache.turbine.modules.screens.error.InvalidState
org.apache.turbine.util.DateSelector
org.apache.turbine.util.TimeSelector
org.apache.turbine.util.template.SelectorBox

Looking at some other projects, they have noted that Apache ecs makes
references to a reserved keyword "var" as a variable name and that this
will ultimately cause problems when moving to Java 10 and beyond.

Most are recommending switching to jsoup instead.  I have written some
very basic code to remove ecs from InvalidState and replaced it with
jsoup methods instead. This was quite simple. But this class is so
simple, I don't think we even need jsoup (just creating one link and
populating the error message).

However, I am wondering if anyone is using the SelectorBox, DateSelector
and TimeSelector code at all.  I have never used it and there don't seem
to be any references to it within the turbine code base I can find
anywhere else - not even any test cases.

Is this something we could deprecate or get rid of all together? I would
also be happy to re-code these using jsoup (which is under MIT license
if that is acceptable).  Happy to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Apache ecs module dependency

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeff,

On 18.01.19 16:16, Jeffery Painter wrote:
> Is this something we could deprecate or get rid of all together? I would
> also be happy to re-code these using jsoup (which is under MIT license
> if that is acceptable).  Happy to hear your thoughts.

My suggestion is to get rid of them completely. I already was close to
throwing them away but something kept me, I don't remember what.
There are much better selection helpers today.

Bye, Thomas