Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2005/07/21 17:36:06 UTC

parser plugin lifecycle

How could a Parser implementation do some cleanup at the end of the
process?  I'm new to the plugin lifecycle - is this currently possible?

I have an RDF parser plugin that needs to open a connection to an
external RDF engine and I need to do that only one time and then
close that connection when all documents are parsed.

Thanks,
     Erik

Re: parser plugin lifecycle

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jul 21, 2005, at 11:46 AM, Stefan Groschupf wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Check: Introduction to the nutch plug-in architecture
> http://www.media-style.com/index.jsp?folderPK=422
> It gives some basic understanding of the plugin life cycle.
>
> In short each plugin can have a plugin class you can define in the
> plugin deployment descriptor.
> This plugin class has life cycle methods that will be invoked until
> start up to create a db connection and until shutdown to close a db
> connection for example

Is there an example of this with one of the plugins that come with
Nutch that I could follow along with?   Where are there more details
about plugin.xml?

Thanks,
     Erik

Re: parser plugin lifecycle

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jul 21, 2005, at 11:46 AM, Stefan Groschupf wrote:
> In short each plugin can have a plugin class you can define in the
> plugin deployment descriptor.
> This plugin class has life cycle methods that will be invoked until
> start up to create a db connection and until shutdown to close a db
> connection for example

I took a look at the plugin descriptor parsing code and figured out
how to register a class="..." and have gotten that working.  Thanks
for the pointer.

     Erik

Re: parser plugin lifecycle

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
Hi Erik,

Check: Introduction to the nutch plug-in architecture
http://www.media-style.com/index.jsp?folderPK=422
It gives some basic understanding of the plugin life cycle.

In short each plugin can have a plugin class you can define in the
plugin deployment descriptor.
This plugin class has life cycle methods that will be invoked until
start up to create a db connection and until shutdown to close a db
connection for example

HTH
Stefan