Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Floyd Wellershaus <fw...@vcampus.com> on 2002/02/13 19:40:19 UTC

FW: help on building apache 1.3.9 on Solaris7

Re: FW: help on building apache 1.3.9 on Solaris7

Posted by Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>.
Hi,

  Without knowing the specific error it complained about regarding your
compiler, I can only guess.  You say gcc is in your path, is it
installed in /usr/local/bin and does this proceed /usr/ccs/bin?  Even
without the Sun compiler installed, cc still exists in name only and
will be found by the configure script.  More puzzling is not finding
'make'.  This seems to imply you do not have make installed in
/usr/local/bin and/or /usr/ccs/bin is not in your path.

RE: help on building apache 1.3.9 on Solaris7

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Floyd Wellershaus [mailto:fwellers@vcampus.com]

> > 	I downloaded 1.3.9 for Solaris. trying to install it -- ./configure
> > 							make
> > 							make install
> > The problem already, while running ./configure, after reading the header
> > files, it cannot find make?? it says
> > ./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
> > it complains about the compiler and aborts.
> > I have gcc version 2.95.2. I included gcc's location in the path.
> >
> > Does anyone know why this  is happening?

It means just what it says.  "make" (the program used to coordinate the
build) is not in your PATH.  On solaris, the cure is usually to add
/usr/ccs/bin to your PATH before building.

By the way, 1.3.9 is incredibly old.  I strongly suggest you look at a more
recent version.

Joshua.