Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by z11373 <z1...@outlook.com> on 2015/06/08 15:14:06 UTC

admin and web dashboard

Hi,
I have few questions below regarding to Accumulo:

1. I login to accumulo shell as root, then I create a table and insert a row
with visibility = "foobar". Unless I grant "foobar" authz to user root, I am
not able to read that row. My question is in case I don't grant that authz
and a month later I forgot which string I assigned to column visibility, how
can I (as user root) to see all rows regardless the user has the proper
authz or not? It's like super admin user who has access to all rows
regardless the column visibility being assigned to those rows. Of course if
I know the authz then I can grant that to user, but in this case I forgot or
don't know

2. We can insert same key with different value, and by default it'll show
the latest version (given the max version setting is set to 1), if I never
delete that key-value, will Accumulo delete all previous versions?

3. Does Accumulo have a web based dashboard? Right now I can just run the
shell to see the tables and rows belong to those tables, but it'd be nice if
there is a web dashboard that can be used to view Accumulo tables.

Re: admin and web dashboard

Posted by z11373 <z1...@outlook.com>.
Awesome! It works! I now can see the .rf file in HDFS. Thanks Josh and Mike!

Re: admin and web dashboard

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.
Also might need to run a 'flush -t $table -w'

Re: admin and web dashboard

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: admin and web dashboard

Re: admin and web dashboard

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Right, you got it.

You can change the maxVersions many times but that won't be persisted on
disk until a compaction rewrites that data. Scans will, however, always
be consistent with the current configuration.

In the implementation, Accumulo will instantiate the current iterators
for the minc or majc scope (depending on if it's a minor or major
compaction) and write the output of memory/files being compacted,
filtered/transformed by those iterators, back out to a single file.

Re: admin and web dashboard

Re: admin and web dashboard

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi -- answers inline. Hope they help.

z11373 wrote:
> Hi,
> I have few questions below regarding to Accumulo:
>
> 1. I login to accumulo shell as root, then I create a table and insert a row
> with visibility = "foobar". Unless I grant "foobar" authz to user root, I am
> not able to read that row. My question is in case I don't grant that authz
> and a month later I forgot which string I assigned to column visibility, how
> can I (as user root) to see all rows regardless the user has the proper
> authz or not? It's like super admin user who has access to all rows
> regardless the column visibility being assigned to those rows. Of course if
> I know the authz then I can grant that to user, but in this case I forgot or
> don't know

Allowing a user to bypass visibility labels is against one of the core
principals behind the design of Accumulo, and, as such, is not allowed
or supported. The only way to inspect data w/o being subject to Accumulo
security is to inspect the files in HDFS (e.g. `accumulo rfile-info
/path/to/rfile.rf`)

> 2. We can insert same key with different value, and by default it'll show
> the latest version (given the max version setting is set to 1), if I never
> delete that key-value, will Accumulo delete all previous versions?

By default when you create a table, a VersioningIterator is attached to
that table which limits the persisted versions for a Key (matching
row+cf+cq+cv) to one. Accumulo doesn't proactively deleted the older
version when you write a new one, but only filters until a compaction
occurs. When the files are re-written in the compaction, all but the
newest version would be "deleted" (by omitting them from the new file).

You can change the number of versions kept with the VersioningIterator
by the maxVersions option, or you can remove it completely from the
table and retain all versions.

> 3. Does Accumulo have a web based dashboard? Right now I can just run the
> shell to see the tables and rows belong to those tables, but it'd be nice if
> there is a web dashboard that can be used to view Accumulo tables.

The Accumulo Monitor[1] is a web application that provides an
administrative overview of an Accumulo system. It includes metrics like
query and ingest rate, error message aggregation, and per-table statistics.

By default, there is no means to view the contents of a table via the
Monitor. If you enable the monitor to run with SSL[2], you will have the
option to launch an Accumulo shell in your web browser. This is done to
ensure that prying eyes cannot see the data in transit as it travels
from the Monitor to your browser.

[1] http://accumulo.apache.org/screenshots.html
[2] http://accumulo.apache.org/1.7/accumulo_user_manual.html#_ssl_2