Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by busbus <ba...@tcs.com> on 2009/09/15 11:49:07 UTC

New to Solr : How to create solr index for rich documents especially .xls

Hi

I am a newbie to Solr. Right now I have to do a task of converting rich
documents to Solr readable index format so that I can use the index for
searching.

I learnt about Solr and got a rough idea of what has to be done.

Requirement 1:

1)  I have to index the rich document format files like .xls,.pdf,doc,ppt

Information that I know:

For this as far as I searched in Internet I came to know that we can use
Data Import Handler, Apache Tika. (  but how to do that with this ).Should I
code with the Data Import Handler ?

So far I have downloaded a sample document from net and tried running that.
The application runs on a Jetty Web Server and when I query in I get an xml
file as output.

Problems faced:

Since I am very new to java I am not able to get a clear picture of what has
to be done and what is this Ant tool used for.

Requirement 2:

I need to change the Web server from Jetty to Jboss Application server. What
has to be done for this?

Solution tried:

I tried copying the solr.war in to the web app directory and tried running
the application. Since I am very new to java I might have made some basic
mistake too. Please guide me.

Thanks in advance.