Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Ruoyun Huang <ru...@google.com> on 2018/11/02 17:44:37 UTC

Suggestions on BEAM-5931 (to update PerformanceTest_TextIO)

Hi, Folks,

I am working on fixes for BEAM-5931
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/BEAM/issues/BEAM-5931>. Two
Jenkins tests were affected. One is Nexmark, for which I’ve fixed in PR#6916
<https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6916>.  The other one is
PerformanceTest_TextIO
<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/.test-infra/jenkins/job_PerformanceTests_FileBasedIO_IT.groovy>,
where we’d like to apply similar changes, and this is the place I have
trouble finding the best fix.

Would like to have suggestions before spending too much time trying things
unnecessarily creative, while there are easier alternatives available.
I’ve also created a draft PR#6921
<https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6921/files> showing what I am about to
do.

The main issue is that in PerformanceTest_TextIO
<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/.test-infra/jenkins/job_PerformanceTests_FileBasedIO_IT.groovy>
jenkins job uses shell to call python, to run another github project, based
on which then run performance test related classes.

Question#1: We will have to do a gradle shadowJar build, but how to pass
the path string (i.e. project(“”).shadowJar.ArchivePath) between jenkins
and gradle?  Either way (jenkins -> gradle or gradle -> jenkins) in theory
should work, but which one would be more easier? One idea is to use
environment variables, but so far I have trouble making environment
variable work across gradle task and shell task.

Question#2: Is CommonJobProperties.buildPerformanceTest() the right place
to update at all? It would be much much easier if we can just update other
places (instead of jenkins job).

Any suggestions appreciated and feel free to just comment on the draft
PR#6921 <https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6921/files>.

Thanks!

--
Ruoyun  Huang

Re: Suggestions on BEAM-5931 (to update PerformanceTest_TextIO)

Posted by Łukasz Gajowy <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi! I added suggestions in the jira ticket discussion. Thanks!

Łukasz