Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org> on 2020/07/28 23:34:25 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Postpone Geode 1.14

Hi all,

As mentioned on the previous discuss thread, I propose to hold off cutting
1.14 until we have shipped 1.13.

Once we have shipped 1.13, we should discuss when we want to cut the 1.14
release. The actual ship date for Geode 1.13 is important information for
that conversation. Thus we cannot have that conversation before then.

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Posted by John Hutchison <hu...@vmware.com>.
Apologies if this detracts from the conversation of folks who have much more in depth knowledge of the codebase than I do- please feel free to ignore if this seems off base.

As a non-committing contributor  who works mostly on code outside of core Geode, it seems like  an always shippable develop would go a long way towards keeping the overall process feeling healthy.   It is, however,  frustrating to think of Redis work (with relies only on minor changes to geode core, along with other core in another module) being hung up while unrelated bugs are worked on. Not to complicate the conversation (and please feel free to ignore if this has been considered and thrown out before), but I wonder if it would be feasible (or desirable ) to try get to a place where we could ship parts of the code base separately, as “plugins, ” while continuing to work on the overall health of the core application?

From: Alexander Murmann <am...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, November 30, 2020 at 2:57 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14
Hi all,

Thanks, Owen for reminding us all of this topic!

I wonder how we feel about the state of develop right now. If we cut 1.14 right now, it will make it easier to stabilize and ship it. However, I see 21 open JIRA tickets affecting 1.14.0. It might be better to have an all-hands effort to address as much as possible on develop and then cut 1.14. If we shift all attention to 1.14, develop will likely never get better. I'd love to get closer to an always shippable develop branch. That should vastly reduce future release pain and make everyday development better as well.

Thoughts?
________________________________

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
support/1.13 was cut on May 4, 2020 as per Geode's published time-based schedule [1] (Monday on or after Feb 1, May 1, Aug 1, Nov 1)

prior to the expected Aug 3 date to cut support/1.14, the Geode community decided in July [2] that the usual quarterly schedule would not apply to 1.14, and then clarified in this thread that stabilization would instead happen on develop in parallel with drawing down the number of issues on the 1.14 dashboard [3].

I still see 7 issues on the dashboard.  I had optimistically hoped it would work out to cut the branch today Feb 1 (in furtherance of returning to our quarterly schedule), but it doesn't seem like we're ready?  Hopefully this isn't a case of the "slippery slope" Geode was trying to avoid [4] by adopted a time-based cadence in 2018.

[1] https://www.cwiki.us/display/GEODE/Releasing+Apache+Geode#ReleasingApacheGeode-Announceintenttobranch
[2] https://lists.apache.org/x/thread.html/ra8ef649c2d02a216f42152d8b468f03e14bed0c0dccea6a0a9b511db@%3Cdev.geode.apache.org%3E
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=12336052
[4] https://lists.apache.org/x/thread.html/d36a63c3794d13506ecad3d52a2aca938dcf0f8509b61860bbbc50cd@%3Cdev.geode.apache.org%3E

On 1/6/21, 10:18 AM, "Nabarun Nag" <nn...@vmware.com> wrote:

    Added a couple of tickets with the blocker label and are now available on the dashboard.

    Please feel free to pick up those tasks.

    Do reach out if anyone needs more information.

    Regards
    Nabarun
    ________________________________

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@vmware.com>.

I started on a dashboard that tracks these here<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=12336052>. Everyone should have access to view it.

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Posted by Jianxia Chen <jc...@apache.org>.
A JIRA dashboard for 1.14.0 might help. Do we currently have one? I am not
sure whether there is some JIRA label introduced for the release of 1.14.0.
A quick search of open JIRA that affects 1.14.0 returns 29 tickets.

Jianxia

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
How to tell whether develop is stable?

From: Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, January 4, 2021 at 8:59 AM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Posted by Jacob Barrett <ja...@vmware.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Posted by Xiaojian Zhou <zh...@vmware.com>.
My opinion:
(1) List out must fix bugs for 1.4 (I don’t think there’s any, but it’s good to review)
(2) cut the 1.4 release branch and start the stabilization period asap.

Gester

        From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
        Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM
        To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

        From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
        Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM
        To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

    From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
    Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>.
@alexander, I agree that stabilizing on 1.14 will be much easier to do, than to manage the fixes while develop features move along apace. I disagree that shifting attention to 1.14 will mean that develop does not get better. We can port the fixes forward, just as easily as we backport them. Same effort, but a more-quickly-stable release branch.

-Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

[DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Re: [PROPOSAL] Postpone Geode 1.14

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
+1

---
Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://whatisworkspaceone.com/boxer>

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org>.
Mark, that's a great point! I'll give everyone till tomorrow to contribute
their opinion on this thread and then inform the user list.

Thanks!

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
Hi Michael, lack of replies may be simply due to not having shipped 1.13 yet.  Once it's in the rearview mirror, folks may be more in the frame of mind to look back at it, perhaps as part of the already-proposed discussion ("Once we have shipped 1.13, we should discuss when we want to cut the 1.14").

Traditionally Geode uses the [DISCUSS] email thread format to accommodate our worldwide developer community.  Looking forward to hearing your voice (and hopefully many others) soon.

On 8/7/20, 12:00 PM, "Michael Oleske" <mo...@vmware.com> wrote:

    I'm going to take the lack of replies as there are no plans for a retrospective on this.  If there is interest in doing this in the future, I'd be happy to facilitate the discussion.

    -michael

Posted by Michael Oleske <mo...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Michael Oleske <mo...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Xiaojian Zhou <zh...@vmware.com>.