Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by x nooby <xn...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/29 16:12:19 UTC

solving case-insensitivity without installing Perl on the server

I am going to guess this is not possible to do, but I
am trying to find a way to solve the
Windows/Subversion case-insensitivity problem without

The Windows server admins would prefer not to load
Perl on to the Windows servers, so I am trying to find
another way.  My users use TortoiseSVN, so I tried
looking for a solution there too, but still have not
found one.

If this problem can *only* be solved via Perl
hookscripts, I should be able to install Perl - but if
there is anyother way, that would be better.

Any suggestions?

thx!

Re: solving case-insensitivity without installing Perl on the server

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 x> I think it is Perl.  Is there a Python version, too?

There is on the Subversion site:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/hook-scripts/.  But
you're right, the release tarballs only have the Perl version.

       paul

Re: solving case-insensitivity without installing Perl on the server

Posted by x nooby <xn...@yahoo.com>.
I think it is Perl.  Is there a Python version, too?

I downloaded the source, and found the script here:

\subversion-1.2.0\contrib\hook-scripts\check-case-insensitive.pl

It has this code in it:

# On a windows machine add this to pre-commit.bat:
#
#  perl <path-to-script>\check-case-insensitive.pl %1
%2

thx!

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 09:12 -0700, x nooby wrote:
> If this problem can *only* be solved via Perl
> hookscripts, I should be able to install Perl - but if
> there is anyother way, that would be better.
>
> Any suggestions?

I thought the latest and greatest "case insensitive" hook script was
python based?  If you look through the archives IIRC the python script
is an improvement over the perl version.

http://svn.collab.net/viewcvs/svn/trunk/contrib/hook-scripts/check-case-insensitive.py?view=markup

But anyway, you can port the functionality of the script to which ever
language you want.  That is what is great about hook scripts - they
don't discriminate.

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://www.nesser.org

Re: solving case-insensitivity without installing Perl on the server

Posted by x nooby <xn...@yahoo.com>.
> This looks to be what you need:
>
> http://py2exe.sourceforge.net/

This would make it easier for the Windows server
admins to integrate the script.

Maybe Subversion could have some "un-official"
compiled python scripts for download?

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
x nooby wrote:
> I am going to guess this is not possible to do, but I
> am trying to find a way to solve the
> Windows/Subversion case-insensitivity problem without

Looking forward in this thread the python version is rather better and
will be further improved.

There are some references to Python compilers which turn Python into an
exe here:

http://effbot.org/zone/python-compile.htm

This looks to be what you need:

http://py2exe.sourceforge.net/