Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Mike Pawlowski <mp...@ca.ibm.com> on 2013/09/04 18:00:58 UTC

Re: Shindig preference template feature problem & questions

Thanks Ryan, Stanton.

As requested, I've created the following JIRA issue to track issue #1:
"Common container should have a mechanism for out-of-the-box user
preference substitution"
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-1932

Mike

Mike Pawlowski
IBM Toronto Labs
Jazz Development
Loc: [ D1 / R0Q / 8200 / MKM ], PWA: 317
Tel: (905) 413-3320, Tie: 313-3320
Email: mpawlow@ca.ibm.com

From:	Ryan Baxter <rb...@gmail.com>
To:	"dev@shindig.apache.org" <de...@shindig.apache.org>,
Date:	2013-08-25 09:41 PM
Subject:	Re: Shindig preference template feature problem & questions

I agree with #1 and #2.  Will you create an issue for #1?

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Stanton Sievers <ss...@apache.org>
wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I don't think there is any documentation on the templating feature, nor
are
> there likely any sample gadgets that take advantage of it since it is a
> container-level feature.
>
> I did find this JIRA [1] which addresses many of your concerns.  Paul
made
> a good point in the commends that the templating allows for caching of
the
> metadata request even if the preference values change, and that it also
> relies on the JavaScript container to do the substitution.  There is a
hook
> into the common container so that a container implementation can inject
its
> own preferences.  See SHINDIG-1568 for a pointer [2].
>
> I think there are two issues here:
> 1) The common container should have some mechanism for user preference
> replacement out of the box (at least for default pref values).
> 2) Until #1 is in place, the default should be to have templating off by
> default
>
> Any thoughts from the dev list?
>
> Thanks,
> -Stanton
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-1465
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-1568
>

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Mike Pawlowski <mp...@ca.ibm.com>
wrote:

>> Hi Henry, Stanton,
>>
>> Sorry for the late reply. I wasn't subscribed properly to the
shindig-dev
>> mailing list.

>> Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this issue is or is not applicable to
>> releases prior to 2.5.0 Beta 6; since,
>> our team initially started with integrating the Beta 6 version of
Shindig
>> into our new product.

>> Correct.
>> I just verified in Shindig 2.5.0 (final) that the shindig.container
works
>> as expected but the common.container
>> does not work as expected using a build with the preference templating
>> feature enabled (the default).
>>
>> Note: It appears that the shipped shindig.container sample was broken in
>> 2.5.0 (final) when it was moved to the
>> "deprecated"
>> path: /containers/deprecated/samplecontainer/samplecontainer.html
>> As a result, I had to temporarily regress our OpenSocial gadget
container
>> to use the old shindig.container for
>> comparison / testing purposes (against the shipped common.container
>> sample).

>> change.
>> feature disabled
>>
>> Would you like me to create a corresponding JIRA issue to track this
issue?

>> I'm guessing there isn't any information or examples readily available
for
>> user consumption regarding the preference templating feature yet.
>>

>> Thanks for the feedback thus far,
>>
>> Mike

>> On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 19:31:23 GMT
>>

>> I don't think this is a regression.  Mike, this worked in the old
>> shindig.container thought, right?
>>
>> I don't recall why the default is to use templating.  Maybe that should
>> change.  Templating by default is only useful if the container is able
>> replace the templated values, which in the default configuration is not
the
>> case.
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Henry Saputra
>> <he...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Mike, so looks like this is regression from 2.5.0 beta6 release?
>> >
>> > - Henry

>> > Shindig

>> > common
Shindig