Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> on 2020/02/01 06:25:35 UTC

Re: Guacamole RDP Session disconnection after 20 sec

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 5:40 AM Tushar Jain <tu...@hitachi.mgrmnet.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just to add on to my previous email, after i exit my RDP application, if i
> click on "Disconnect" link of Guacamole menu, the session immediately
> disconnects. Can i make this happen on the click of "Exit" button of RDP
> application itself, instead of user having to ? Basically i want to
> disconnect the RDP session as soon as exist the application.
>
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 3:46 PM Tushar Jain <
> tushar.jain@hitachi.mgrmnet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have published an RDP Application hosted on a remote server. After
>> connecting through guacamole, the application works fine. But, when i exit
>> the application, guacamole takes about 20 seconds to disconnect the RDP
>> session. After 20 seconds i get the message "You have been disconnected".
>> At the same time, when i check the RDP Session Host, it marks the session
>> as "Disconnected". What could be the reason? Can i change this 20 sec to
>> say 5 sec?
>>
>> Thanks!

A couple of things come to mind...

First, the session disconnection, in this particular case, is managed
mostly by the RDP server and not Guacamole.  So, something on the RDP
server side is causing a delay in the disconnection of the session such
that it takes a few seconds for the session to actually close out.
Depending on what RDP server you're using, this could be caused by
processes shutting down, profiles being saved, or several other things.  My
suggestion would be to monitor the server during the time when you
disconnect and try to see what's happening.

Another possibility would be to make sure you're using RemoteApp (RAILS)
functionality, which may handle this type of disconnect situation a little
more cleanly.  Depending on your RDP server (Windows vs xRDP) your level of
success in using this will vary, but Guacamole does support this
functionality as long as the RDP server does.

-Nick

Re: Guacamole RDP Session disconnection after 20 sec

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 10:25 PM Tushar Jain <tu...@hitachi.mgrmnet.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the update.
> We found out that Windows RDP server was taking about that much time to
> logoff, once the remote application is closed. What we found is it is a
> default Windows behaviour and there is no configuration in Windows or
> Remote Desktop Services, where we could change that. As a workaround, we
> explicitly called logoff.exe on the exit of the remote application.

RemoteApp (RAILS) may help you out with this - I'm pretty sure it's capable
of closing the remote connection as soon as the RemoteApp is closed.

-Nick

Re: Guacamole RDP Session disconnection after 20 sec

Posted by Tushar Jain <tu...@hitachi.mgrmnet.com>.
Thanks for the update.

--
**Disclaimer:* This message and any attachment may contain confidential,
proprietary information and is intended only for the individual named. If
you are not the original intended recipient and have erroneously received
this message, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Hitachi MGRM Net
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete, or contain viruses. Hitachi MGRM Net therefore does not
message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is
required, please request a hard-copy version. Hitachi MGRM Net Ltd, C -
6/5, Safdarjung Development Area, New Delhi - 110016, India*
*
*
*'Please
consider the environment before printing this e-mail'.*