Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jae Joo <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/30 14:02:44 UTC

Local Disk and SAN

Hi,

I have about 20G bytes of index with 1 Million transactions per day.
I am considering the disk system between local disk and SAN based system
(not NFS).
Is there any performance difference to run solr instance with 20 G index on
local disk and on SAN based disk which is connected with fiber channel?

Thanks,

Jae

Re: Local Disk and SAN

Posted by John Stewart <ca...@gmail.com>.
Jae,

We recently benchmarked local, SAN and NFS using a real-world
Lucene-based benchmark.  For searching we found that SAN was
marginally slower than local disks, about 1% slower, while for adding
documents the SAN was 3x faster, doubtless because of the high
parallelism in the writes.  I would say, go with the SAN, there is
little to lose and much to gain from a management and distribution
angle.

jds