Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2017/04/27 12:49:01 UTC

[Numbers] Java version?

Hi.

The POM indicates:

     <maven.compiler.source>1.6</maven.compiler.source>
     <maven.compiler.target>1.6</maven.compiler.target>

but also:

     <commons.release.desc>(requires Java 7+)</commons.release.desc>

Which is wrong?

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Mon, 1 May 2017 09:08:23 +1000, Peter Ansell wrote:
> Jenkins now requires Java-8 as its base runtime environment on the
> regular release channel, with its LTS channel moving to Java-8 in a
> few weeks:
>
> https://jenkins.io/blog/2017/04/10/jenkins-has-upgraded-to-java-8/

Thanks for the notice.

As Sebb aptly reminded, this is however independent of why we might
want a component to upgrade its Java version, but ...

> That one bit me, as there is a bug updating on older Ubuntu versions
> that don't carry a Java-8 JDK in their standard repositories so you
> need to pull in the webupd8 PPA or the openjdk PPA:
>
> https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43629
>
> The statistics that backed the Jenkins decision were interesting, but
> not necessarily relevant to other production applications:
>
> https://jenkins.io/blog/2017/01/17/Jenkins-is-upgrading-to-Java-8/

... this link is yet another rephrase of why a community-driven
project might want to keep up with its environment:
   "Being also a developer community, we want Jenkins to be
    appealing to contributors."

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 April 2017 at 15:32, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 14:49:56 +0100, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 29 April 2017 at 19:10, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.

>>> As a general rule, this must formally asked on the "dev" ML.
>>> [And, we'll take for granted that if no one raises an objection
>>> within 72 hours, the proposal is accepted.]

>>> That's fine with me; however let's note (for the record) that the
>>> last official release of CM (3.6.1) was still Java 5 (five) compatible.
>>> I don't think (TBC) that any of the CM codes intended (as of now) for
>>> inclusion _requires_ Java 7.
>>>
>>> Hence my question about the necessity (seems not) or willingness
>>> (could well be, if just for the comfort of contributors) to upgrade.
>>>
>>> Now, concretely, you could make the "downgrades" and the code is
>>> now Java 6 compatible.
>>> However, as concretely, it is not obvious that we want to loose
>>> more time fiddling with Jenkins to make it perform the build of
>>> code targeted to old Java.
>>

>> IMO it is wrong for Jenkins to dictate the Java compat level of the
>> items it builds.
>

> I agree.
>
>> Besides, it is not difficult to do.
>

> Then why doesn't INFRA do it when they perform an upgrade that
> breaks what used to work?

Don't ask me, ask them...

> Help welcome, since I must have missed the "easy" part in my
> attempts to fix it...

Which job is failing?

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 29, 2017 6:47 AM, "Raymond DeCampo" <ra...@decampo.org> wrote:

Please note I wrote an issue concerning this last week or so.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUMBERS-21

I noticed when moving code from [math] to [numbers] that [math] targets 7.
I had to make some minor downgrades in the code (use of diamond operator).

Given that [math] targets Java 7 and [numbers] is based on it, I see no
reason [numbers] shouldn't target 7 as well.

Sounds fine with me.

Gary

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org>.

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 08:42:36 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2017 8:21 AM, "Gilles" <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 10:10:57 -0500, Matt Sicker wrote:
>
>> Choosing Java 8 or 7 for a new component depends on the APIs you
>> want to
>> use for it more so than what's current.
>>

> Indeed, the question could be rephrased as: Is there anything to
> loose
> (for a new component) if we allow the larger API of Java 8?
>

> I hear people are still using Java
>> 6, but I doubt those projects are adapting new libraries or
>> upgrading any
>> of their dependencies as it is...
>>

> That has seemed logical to me for a long time...
>

> +1
>
> I say pick the version you think is best.

At this point, I can't say exactly.
The current code doesn't seem to need Java APIs beyond 6, but other
utilities yet to be added might benefit.
The only argument for leaving Java 6 is that we have to go through
hoops with the Jenkins configuration. Currently it fails in a way
that looks cryptic to me. So, unless someone can fix it, I'll bump
the dependency to Java 7.

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Choosing Java 8 or 7 for a new component depends on the APIs you want to
use for it more so than what's current. I hear people are still using Java

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Numbers] Java version?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.