Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Florent Empis <fl...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/20 21:43:56 UTC

Fwd: Google Big Query & Prediction API

Hi,

This is a new service by Google of supervised learning
http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2010/05/bigquery-and-prediction-api-get-more.html

Anyone has thoughts on this? I'd say it seems pretty limited as of now, but
the details are scarce...

Sorry for this slight off-topic... :)

BR,

Florent Empis

Re: Google Big Query & Prediction API

Posted by Florent Empis <fl...@gmail.com>.
Actually, from my point-of-view, the current interest & buzz surrounding
Mahout is divided in two broad categories:
"scientists", who are interested in the theoritical setup of machine
learning algorithms based on map-reduce technologies
"engineers", who have a technical or functionnal need that can be solved by
machine learning tools such as Mahout.

I include myself in the 2nd category, but I tend to think that to
successfully answer a business need I have in mind, I have to get a better
grasp on the theoritical concepts underlying in Mahout. This mailing-list,
and the book, as well as other ressources (such as Programming Collective
Intelligence), are all great ressources.

(sorry for this off-topic & non technical rant on this technical ML...)

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fwd: Google Big Query & Prediction API

Posted by Tommy Chheng <to...@gmail.com>.
  i was just at the googleio presentation on this. they mentioned it's
still very "in-progress" development. they encourage any feedback or
feature request at https://groups.google.com/group/prediction-api-discuss

pricing is still up in the air.

Tommy Chheng
Programmer and UC Irvine Graduate Student
Twitter @tommychheng
http://tommy.chheng.com