Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/03 21:32:44 UTC

JMX monitoring of Solr<->Solr (and Solr<->Zookeeper?) errors.

I was recently involved in a conversation where the question was
raised whether there were any stats exposed to JMX for monitoring
Solr<->Solr errors and Solr<->Zookeeper errors. The scenario here is
that you'd like to use some JMX-enabled tool to raise alerts when
connections between Solr nodes went wonky and/or you started seeing
errors in reading from ZK etc.

Before diving in I thought I'd ask if there's any "prior art" here. Or
if anyone's thought along these lines before.

The current stats and JMX stuff in Solr is pretty core-specific, which
made me uncertain about piggy-backing on, say, the current
SolrInfoMBean capabilities. This seems like it's more an admin
function or perhaps something new specified at the solr.xml level.....

Erick

Re: JMX monitoring of Solr<->Solr (and Solr<->Zookeeper?) errors.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetić <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Sematext SPM <http://sematext.com/spm> monitors both Solr and ZK and should
be able to alert you if either of them have issues.  It doesn't
specifically watch for Solr<==>Solr or Solr<==>ZK errors, but I think
problems on either side would manifest as changes in metrics for which you
could set up either threshold-based or anomaly detection based alerts.

Furthermore, if you ship your logs to a log management solution like Logsene
<http://sematext.com/logsene>, assuming Solr and/or ZK log errors about S-S
or S-ZK communication, you'll be able to pick those up and alert on them,
too.

In short, very much doable.

Otis