Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Steffen Winther <ca...@siimnet.dk> on 2015/03/05 00:28:09 UTC

Howto remove currently assigned data directory from 2.0.12 nodes

HI

Got a cassandra cluster 2.0.12 with three nodes,
that I would like to reduce storage capacity as I
would like to reuse some disks for a PoC
cassandra 1.2.15 cluster on the same nodes.

Howto remove already assigned
data file directories from running nodes?

f.ex. got:

data_file_directories : [ /data1, /data2, /data3, /data4]

which I would like to reduce to:

data_file_directories : [ /data1, /data2]

I would still off course have free storage in this cluster :)

TIA

Re: Howto remove currently assigned data directory from 2.0.12 nodes

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Steffen Winther <ca...@siimnet.dk>
wrote:

> Robert Coli <rcoli <at> eventbrite.com> writes:
>

> > 1) stop node
> > 2) move sstables from no-longer-data-directories into
> still-data-directories
>
> Okay, just into any other random data dir?
> Few files here and there to spread amount of data between still-data-dirs?

Yep, that's more or less what JBOD allocation tries to do, heh.

> What about rebalancing amount of data among nodes or doesn't this matter?

Your node isn't losing any data, it's just storing the same data in fewer
directories. I'm not sure what rebalancing among nodes could be required in
this case?

=Rob

Re: Howto remove currently assigned data directory from 2.0.12 nodes

Posted by Steffen Winther <ca...@siimnet.dk>.

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

http://twitter.com/rcolidba