Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> on 2010/06/03 16:46:50 UTC

PPMC membership lists?

Hi All

I've just had a question from someone in Chemistry, one of the projects I
mentor, about ppmc vs committership. Having explained it, I wanted to
check who was currently on the Chemistry ppmc, but I couldn't seem to find
the list anywhere...

At the bottom of:
 	http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html
is a link to what is supposed to be the PPMC membership list:
 	https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/incubator-info.txt
only no such file exists...

I've had a look in most of the usual places, and can't see it there
either. Can someone please point me at where the ppmc lists are currently
maintained, so I can both help Chemistry and also update the website?

Cheers
Nick

Re: PPMC membership lists?

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
On Jun 3, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> On 06/03/2010 08:46 AM, Nick Burch wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I've just had a question from someone in Chemistry, one of the
>> projects I mentor, about ppmc vs committership. Having explained
>> it, I wanted to check who was currently on the Chemistry ppmc, but
>> I couldn't seem to find the list anywhere...
>>
>> At the bottom of:
>>    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html
>> is a link to what is supposed to be the PPMC membership list:
>>    https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/incubator-info.txt
>> only no such file exists...
>

> I asked the same question while incubating TS. The answer seemed to
> be that the incubating projects status page should keep the PPMC
> members listed.

+1

Podlings should keep PPMC and committer lists on their status page.

Craig

> At least that's what we did, but I see many projects that still don't.
>
> -- leif
>
> P.s
>
> Our old podling project page is available at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/trafficserver.html
> , if anyone care to see how we kept this information organized.

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: PPMC membership lists?

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 06/03/2010 08:46 AM, Nick Burch wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've just had a question from someone in Chemistry, one of the
> projects I mentor, about ppmc vs committership. Having explained it, I
> wanted to check who was currently on the Chemistry ppmc, but I
> couldn't seem to find the list anywhere...
>
> At the bottom of:
>     http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html
> is a link to what is supposed to be the PPMC membership list:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/incubator-info.txt
>
> only no such file exists...

I asked the same question while incubating TS. The answer seemed to be
that the incubating projects status page should keep the PPMC members
listed. At least that's what we did, but I see many projects that still

Re: PPMC membership lists?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> I agree about it being a good idea to use the status page to explicitly
> list the composition of the PPMC. For Chemistry that can be achieved by
> simply adding a note like: "The Chemistry PPMC consists of all the
> committers and mentors listed here."

OK. I've added that note to the chemistry page, and updated the ppmc guide
to say that the status page should list the ppmc members, rather than the
long-gone svn file

Nick

Re: PPMC membership lists?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I'll try to find some time tomorrow to update the ppmc information page, to
> state that the status page should either list the ppmc members on it, or
> indicate that all committers are ppmc members (and in this case, the podling
> needs to make this clear in new committer votes). This woud be in place of
> the bit about the svn file that's gone....

Note that IMO having the status page link to a page on the podling
website is fine as well.

-Bertrand

Re: PPMC membership lists?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> So far the approach in Chemistry has been to make all committers also
> PPMC members, so the committer (+ mentor) list on the Chemistry status
> page is also a list of the PPMC members.

I'd thought that was the case, but wanted to check!

> I agree about it being a good idea to use the status page to
> explicitly list the composition of the PPMC. For Chemistry that can be
> achieved by simply adding a note like: "The Chemistry PPMC consists of
> all the committers and mentors listed here."

Sounds good.

Re: PPMC membership lists?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> I've just had a question from someone in Chemistry, one of the projects I
> mentor, about ppmc vs committership. Having explained it, I wanted to check
> who was currently on the Chemistry ppmc, but I couldn't seem to find the
> list anywhere...

So far the approach in Chemistry has been to make all committers also
PPMC members, so the committer (+ mentor) list on the Chemistry status
page is also a list of the PPMC members.

I agree about it being a good idea to use the status page to
explicitly list the composition of the PPMC. For Chemistry that can be
achieved by simply adding a note like: "The Chemistry PPMC consists of
all the committers and mentors listed here."

BR,

Jukka Zitting