Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2018/04/01 00:38:00 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gobblin 0.12.0 release RC2

Hi
the content is simply.
"

Apache Gobblin

Copyright 2017-2018 The Apache Software Foundation

This product includes Bootstrap

Copyright (c) 2011-2015 Twitter, Inc.

This product includes the Glyphicons Halflings icon set

Copyright (c) Jan Kovařík (http://glyphicons.com)

Licensed under The MIT License (MIT) as a part of the Bootstrap project.

This product includes normalize.css

Copyright (c) Nicolas Gallagher and Jonathan Neal
"
Can you please explain what is the legal problem with such content?
TBH I can see so many similar content in a lot of TLP projects. So why we
should be more rude here than for other projects?

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 at 09:08, Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> -1 binding as NOTICE should not contain copyrights of bundled 3rd party
> software. The NOTICE file needs to only contain what is required  (and not
> already in LICENSE) and needs to be as small as possible as it affects
> downstream projects. [2]
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - signatures and hashes good
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - LICENSE is missing info for fonts [1]
> - NOTICE is incorrect
> - Some .sh files are missing ASF headers
> - Can compile from source
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1.
> apache-gobblin-incubating-sources-0.12.0/gobblin-admin/src/main/resources/static/fonts/*
> 2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice

Olivier Lamy

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gobblin 0.12.0 release RC2

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Summarizing the thread: proposed changes to the NOTICE file is an
improvement and thus we will consider it in the next release.
At the moment, I will close the vote since we have run out of time and have
the necessary votes.

Thanks again,
Abhishek

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Well not a big drama, we can fix that with the next release.
ATM  2 mentors have voted +1: Jean-Baptiste and myself.
1 * IPMC with Matt.

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 at 18:36, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> PS by my count you only need one more +1 vote and only one of your project
> mentors have voted.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Olivier Lamy

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gobblin 0.12.0 release RC2

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks for the update. It makes sense.
Let's see what the other IPMC will say. Definitely something to fix for next release at least.

Regards
JB

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olivier

NOTICE file is not supposed to include the copyright unless the License
requires.
As the MIT License already has the copyright statement, we don't need to

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Can you please explain what is the legal problem with such content?

It’s not a legal probably as such but an ASF policy one. The NOTICE need to be keep as small as possible as it has an affect on downstream projects.

> TBH I can see so many similar content in a lot of TLP projects.

You might think you do but you may be confusing relocated copyrights with copyrights from license files or content from upstream notice files.

Thanks,
Justin.