Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com> on 2004/06/20 21:28:25 UTC

Postponing 1.0 until Weds, Jun 23

As right now the status of OJB on java 1.2 and 1.3 is unknown, there
are some problems with postgres, and no report on the results with
Oracle or MySQL I am not going to release 1.0 tonight.

As soon as these are cleared up we can push a release.

-Brian

Re: Postponing 1.0 until Weds, Jun 23

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>.
Martin Kalén wrote:

> Armin Waibel wrote:
>
>> I have some question relating to OJB269, OJB270 and OJB271:
>>
>> ---------------
>> OJB269:
>> "Incorrect JDBC type mappings in Torque schema for JUnit test table
>> BLOB_TEST cause BlobTest to fail when using Oracle"
>> ----------------
>> If I apply your patch the BlobTest fails with sapDB/maxDB. With
>> current version the test pass. The problem seems to be the datatype
>> used by Torque to create the blob column
>

> Yes, Torque is creating invalid DDL for e.g. HSQLDB.
>
> Since the test is called _Blob_Test I think it makes most sence to
> apply OJB269.
>

> But since we are having some issues with Torque, I vote for adding
> this to the stoplist of "known failures" and dealing with it after the
> 1.0 relase.

+1
IMO we should not deal with Torque bugs right now, also because I will
investigate whether commons-sql could replace Torque once the 1.0 is
out. Its easier to use/integrate, and I have commit rights there, so
changes would be easier.

Tom

Re: Postponing 1.0 until Weds, Jun 23

Posted by Martin Kalén <ma...@curalia.se>.
Armin Waibel wrote:

> I have some question relating to OJB269, OJB270 and OJB271:
>
> ---------------
> OJB269:
> "Incorrect JDBC type mappings in Torque schema for JUnit test table
> BLOB_TEST cause BlobTest to fail when using Oracle"
> ----------------
> If I apply your patch the BlobTest fails with sapDB/maxDB. With current
> version the test pass. The problem seems to be the datatype used by
> Torque to create the blob column

Yes, Torque is creating invalid DDL for e.g. HSQLDB.

Since the test is called _Blob_Test I think it makes most sence to apply OJB269.

But since we are having some issues with Torque, I vote for adding this to the stoplist of
"known failures" and dealing with it after the 1.0 relase.

Adding this test to known failures and applying OJB269 is not making the regression test
suite less complete IMO, since the BlobTest was previously testing other datatypes and not
LOB:s.

> --------------
> OJB270:
> "OJB DB-profile and build system support for ConnectionPool validation
> query"
> --------------
> I agree in pass the @validationQuery@ attribute, but why should we pass
> @TEST_ON_BORROW@ and @TEST_ON_RETURN@ too? By default AFAIK
> @TEST_ON_BORROW@ is true and why do we need to test on return?

Why not have them there? Makes no difference by default, but it is possible to tweak
platform profiles for validation query and testing when neccesary.

But I'm not beeing stubborn here - ditch'em if you feel like and do the 1.0 already! ;-)

(Main thing is to have testOnBorrow="true" and validationQuery="SELECT 1 FROM DUAL" for
Oracle9i platform to make it work out of the box.)

> --------------
> OJB271:
> " JdbcTypesHelper handling of LONGVARBINARY not compatible with Oracle9i"
> --------------
> All tests pass against sapDB after change. I don't know anything about
> the JDBC spec, so please excuse my question. Is this patch only needed
> for LONGVARBINARY columns? What about VARBINARY/BINARY?

It's all a mess with the JDBC datatypes since each RDBMS will usually translate the DDL
into it's own favourite proprieraty types anyway...

We should probably add more testcases for this after 1.0, but if it's not regression and
not introducing any new failures it's at least as good as RC7 (and better for Oracle9i!).

Regards,
  Martin

--
Martin Kalén
Curalia AB              Web:  http://www.curalia.se

Re: Postponing 1.0 until Weds, Jun 23

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi,

 > With OJB268 (already in CVS), OJB269, OJB270 and OJB271 applied all
 > JUnit tests pass
 > on Oracle9i.

This are good news!

I have some question relating to OJB269, OJB270 and OJB271:

---------------
OJB269:
"Incorrect JDBC type mappings in Torque schema for JUnit test table
BLOB_TEST cause BlobTest to fail when using Oracle"
----------------
If I apply your patch the BlobTest fails with sapDB/maxDB. With current
version the test pass. The problem seems to be the datatype used by
Torque to create the blob column

[torque-sql-exec] Our new url -> jdbc:sapdb://localhost/OJB
[torque-sql-exec] Executing file:
E:\dev\ojb-head\db-ojb\target\test\sql\ojbtest-schema.sql
[torque-sql-exec] Failed to execute: CREATE TABLE BLOB_TEST ( ID INTEGER
NOT NULL, BLOB_VALUE_ LONG BYTE, CLOB_VALUE_ LONG UNICODE )
[torque-sql-exec] com.sap.dbtech.jdbc.exceptions.DatabaseException:
[-3002] (at 87): Invalid datatype

Seems Torque doesn't handle BOLB/CLOB type for sapDB in right way. Does
the BlobTest pass against MySQL and PostgreSQL out of the box?

--------------
OJB270:
"OJB DB-profile and build system support for ConnectionPool validation
query"
--------------
I agree in pass the @validationQuery@ attribute, but why should we pass
@TEST_ON_BORROW@ and @TEST_ON_RETURN@ too? By default AFAIK
@TEST_ON_BORROW@ is true and why do we need to test on return?

--------------
OJB271:
" JdbcTypesHelper handling of LONGVARBINARY not compatible with Oracle9i"
--------------
All tests pass against sapDB after change. I don't know anything about
the JDBC spec, so please excuse my question. Is this patch only needed
for LONGVARBINARY columns? What about VARBINARY/BINARY?

regards,
Armin

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>.
Thomas Dudziak wrote:

> How's status ?
>
> I've checked the tutorials (except JDO which I'll check today), and so
> far they work with the updated ojb-blank project, which itself works
> nicely too (checked against Hsqldb and MySQL) and now include XDoclet
> and Torque targets. I'll check the tutorial docs in more detail in the
> next couple of days, but since that is doc, it shouldn't hinder release,
> right ?

JDO tutorial also works with ojb-blank.

Tom

Re: Postponing 1.0 until Weds, Jun 23

Posted by Martin Kalén <ma...@curalia.se>.
Thomas Dudziak wrote:

> How's status ?

Two things;

1)
Patches for OJB269, OJB270 and OJB271 need to be applied for all JUnit tests to pass
under Oracle9i.

(Applying OJB269 introduces DDL failure for HSQLDB probably beacuse of Torque error(?) but
the BlobTest is disabled for HSQL som there is no new regression test failure. Previously
the BLOB test was in fact not testing BLOB handling because of invalid DDL...)

2)
The HOWTO for using LOB's with Oracle should be updated (always been a really promising
introduction and then "..." where it gets down to real code). Also the 3 different Oracle
platform impls with their respective capabilities regarding LOB lengths should be properly
documented.

If the patch for OJB272 is applied the docs update can wait since messages in exceptions
thrown will be a bit more to the point and less confusing.

Regards,
  Martin

Posted by "Robert S. Sfeir" <ro...@codepuccino.com>.
Last I checked tests still had probs with postgresql and mysql.  It seems
it's tests only.  Unfortunately I am crammed in corporate meetings this
week, and can't get to the postgresql 'probing'.

Also there is an issue which was posted by a user today on the user list
regarding oracle and optimistic locking, we should make sure that's fixed
before we release.

Real sorry I can't dig more right now... that time of the month :-)

Posted by Martin Kalén <ma...@curalia.se>.

Posted by Martin Kalén <ma...@curalia.se>.
Martin Kalén wrote:

> With these issues out of the way, these are the results running
> ant junit
> against db-ojb HEAD from CVS as of June 21 2004 12:30 UTC
> with Sun JDK 1.4.2_04 on Windows XP SP 1, Oracle9i Personal rel 9.2.0.1.0
> (with OJB.skip.issues=true in build.properties):
> "
>     [junit] Running org.apache.ojb.broker.AllTests
>     [junit] Tests run: 402, Failures: 0, Errors: 3, Time elapsed:
> 116,328 sec

Failures:
1) BlobTest.testReadNullBlob
Incorrect field mappings for Torque: Oracle confused when getting
data from [BC]LOB with null-data.

Already resolved by Armins commit for issue OJB-268
http://nagoya.apache.org/scarab/issues/id/OJB268

2) BlobTest.testBlobInsertion
The test case uses long [BC]LOB values and I had P6Spy activated,
causing native Oracle LOB handling to fail (it must have direct
access to the OracleConnection, OraclePreparedStatement etc).

There have been reports on the list about using Oracle LOBs in a managed
environment (eg WebLogic) - these issues are probably related.

I will open up a separate issue and adding a patch with better info
in the exceptions thrown when native Oracle LOB handling can't be used.

However; the BlobTest.testBlobInsertion can be considered OK as it
passes with the properties that OJB ship with.

3) OptimisticLockingTest.testTimestampLock
See my mail re "Nanosecond precision makes optimistic locking unusable with Oracle"

>     [junit] Running org.apache.ojb.odmg.AllTests
>     [junit] Tests run: 196, Failures: 0, Errors: 1

Haven't looked yet - on it... ;-)

Regards,
  Martin

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
Much appreciated!

-Brian

Posted by Martin Kalén <ma...@curalia.se>.
Brian McCallister wrote:

> As right now the status of OJB on java 1.2 and 1.3 is unknown, there are
> some problems with postgres, and no report on the results with Oracle or
> MySQL I am not going to release 1.0 tonight.

With Oracle, there was an old issue with the testcases and the SQL DDL-
statements generated by Torque. I filed an issue in Scarab with a
diff-attachment that Armin applied to solve this. (See issue OJB-268)

Oracle also needs a validation query check when borrowing brokers for
the testcases, otherwise the server may (will...) close connections that
are later re-used for preparing statements in the JDBC client.

There is yet no support for adding a validation query in build.properties,
so I had to do this manually for the default PB-pool in
src/test/org/apache/ojb/repository_database.xml:
         <connection-pool
             maxActive="21"
             testOnBorrow="true"
             validationQuery="SELECT 1 FROM DUAL"/>

Adding a new property to build.properties and a new @pattern@-replacement
in Ant should solve this - I will file a diff in Scarab if I add this myself.

With these issues out of the way, these are the results running
ant junit
against db-ojb HEAD from CVS as of June 21 2004 12:30 UTC
with Sun JDK 1.4.2_04 on Windows XP SP 1, Oracle9i Personal rel 9.2.0.1.0
(with OJB.skip.issues=true in build.properties):
"
     [junit] Running org.apache.ojb.broker.AllTests
     [junit] Tests run: 402, Failures: 0, Errors: 3, Time elapsed: 116,328 sec

     [junit] TEST org.apache.ojb.broker.AllTests FAILED
     [junit] Running org.apache.ojb.odmg.AllTests
     [junit] [BOOT] INFO: Loading OJB's properties from (snip)
     [junit] [BOOT] INFO: No value for key 'InterceptorClass'
     [junit] Tests run: 196, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 25,219 sec

     [junit] TEST org.apache.ojb.odmg.AllTests FAILED
     [junit] Running org.apache.ojb.soda.AllTests
     [junit] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 3,64 sec

     [junit] Running org.apache.ojb.otm.AllTests
     [junit] Tests run: 79, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 15,703 sec
"

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
Much appreciated!

-Brian

Posted by Ilkka Priha <im...@surfeu.fi>.
All transactional tests fail with MySQL 4.1.2a/MyISAM engine, as expected
without transaction support, and others pass without errors.

[junit] Running org.apache.ojb.broker.AllTests
[junit] Tests run: 402, Failures: 6, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 76.86 sec

[junit] TEST org.apache.ojb.broker.AllTests FAILED
[junit] Running org.apache.ojb.odmg.AllTests
[junit] [BOOT] INFO: Loading OJB's properties from file file:/E:/Cc/Apache/d
-ojb/target/test/ojb/OJB.properties
[junit] [BOOT] INFO: No value for key 'InterceptorClass'
[junit] Tests run: 196, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 17.268 sec

[junit] TEST org.apache.ojb.odmg.AllTests FAILED
[junit] Running org.apache.ojb.soda.AllTests
[junit] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 1.916 sec

[junit] Running org.apache.ojb.otm.AllTests
[junit] Tests run: 79, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 12.795 sec

PB Failures:

Testcase: testDeleteWithRemovalAwareCollection took 0.031 sec
	FAILED
expected:<1> but was:<2>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<1> but was:<2>

Testcase: testUserRollbackClearCache took 0.093 sec
	FAILED
expected:<60> but was:<70>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<60> but was:<70>

Testcase: testUserRollback took 0.094 sec
	FAILED
expected:<80> but was:<90>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<80> but was:<90>

Testcase: testRollbackCausedByNotExistingObject took 0.062 sec
	FAILED
Object count does not match after rollback expected:<100> but was:<110>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Object count does not match after rollback
expected:<100> but was:<110>

Testcase: testRollbackCausedBySQLException took 0.047 sec
	FAILED
Test should throw a exception in place
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Test should throw a exception in place

Testcase: testMultipleInsertAndRollback took 11.423 sec
	FAILED
expected:<2000> but was:<4000>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<2000> but was:<4000>

ODMG Failures:

Testcase: testTransactionFlush took 0.031 sec
	FAILED
We should not find objects from aborted tx
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: We should not find objects from aborted tx

Testcase: testStoreDeleteThreePersons_1 took 0.031 sec
	FAILED
children's names are equal expected:<[Child_Two_1087823392231,
Child_One_1087823392231]> but was:<[Child_One_1087823392231,
Child_Two_1087823392231]>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: children's names are equal
expected:<[Child_Two_1087823392231, Child_One_1087823392231]> but
was:<[Child_One_1087823392231, Child_Two_1087823392231]>

OTM Failures:

Testcase: testOtmCache took 0.094 sec

Posted by Ilkka Priha <im...@surfeu.fi>.
Hi

[...]

org.apache.ojb.broker.PersistenceBrokerSQLException: java.sql.SQLException:
[...]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: null,  message from server: "Deadlock found

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>.