Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by tison <wa...@gmail.com> on 2023/03/28 11:33:59 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Create a Chinese (Q&A) category in GitHub Discussions forum

Hi,

I see a continuously increasing trend of users asking questions on our
GitHub Discussions forum[1].

Since a significant portion of our users come from China, and they are more
expressive when discussing in Chinese, I suggest we create a Chinese
category for Q&A only, which is expected to work as user-zh@pulsar.a.o but
on the GitHub Discussions forum for being user-friendly.

What do you think?

Best,
tison.

[1] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/discussions

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create a Chinese (Q&A) category in GitHub Discussions forum

Posted by ma...@gmail.com.
> A bot is not a good solution, though. Automatically modifying users' content can be annoying.

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to edit the user's question. we can add a translated comment after question.

Best,
Mattison

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Zike Yang <zi...@apache.org>.
> A bot is not a good solution, though. Automatically modifying users' content can be annoying.

We don't need to modify users' content. And it's bad to do that.
Another potential solution is that we can add the English translation
of the content after users' conversations. This would allow us to
search for our knowledge better. I wonder if such a bot already exists
for us to use.

BR,
Zike Yang

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mattison,

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.
One one hand, it can increase adoption, as people feel more convenient to
ask questions in their native language.
On the other hand, since a lot of users are from China, you lose such a
large body of knowledge.

I see other open source softwares like Kubernetes has a category for
specific language, yet this software is globally used.

My intuition is to say no and keep growing the common language knowledge,
yet I'm not sure it is good choice if it will block adoption.