Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@fagnani.com> on 2006/07/07 22:30:10 UTC

Getting started again...

Hi,

This is probably my 3rd email on the same subject in the past few
years, and I'm sure you get these all the time, but it seem things
haven't gotten much easier, so please excuse me...

I used Cocoon quite a bit in the 1.x days, and was quite comfortable
with XSP, Actions, Generators, etc... Cocoon's changed a lot since
then, and I can't seem to find a clear starting path with the new
technologies. I'm starting a completely new site/application from
scratch. So I'm looking to start right and with the methods that will
carry forward into Cocoon 2.2/3.0.

At first I'm trying to do some very basic CRUD operations on my
database. Before I would use POJOs for the model, Actions for the
controller, and XSP for the view, all using an abstracted database
access layer (that used JDBC). It all seemed pretty simple and made a
lot of sense to me.

These days XSP is deprecated, Actions might be too, and there's a
plethora of data access frameworks. I know Flow replaces Actions, but
what replaces XSP? XSP is still all over the user documentation and
tutorials. I'm assuming it's some sort of combination of CForms, JX
templates, and maybe Velocity?

There's a ton a samples and obviously many ways to do things, but is
there one set of "sanctioned" components/methods to use when starting
a new Cocoon app?

I guess my biggest question is about views really. I see only two
pages in the docs talking about JX. The flow docs still talk about
possibly using XSP with the JXPath logicsheet. Is XSP still fine to
use since I'm used to it? Is JX the way to go? Is Velocity better
because it's used in other projects? I tend to do some pretty
complicated logic on the view side of things (not messing with the
model or controller side) and like the expressiveness of having all
of Java at my fingertips, so I'm a little wary of a restricted
template for the view.

Also... I've been looking into Spring and Tuscany to help with data
access and exposing web services. Should I try to get started with
Cocoon 2.2?

Thanks a lot for any help
  Justin

Re: Getting started again...

Posted by Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@fagnani.com>.
Sweet, I didn't really know about Daisy. That helps a lot. I'm
installing Maven and 2.2, and we'll see how that goes.

Thanks,
   Justin

Re: Getting started again...

Posted by Andrew <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
for any of you guys interested in dam easy integration of various plugin
tools into eclipse, maven included, I came across this site that you may
find interesting:

http://www.yoxos.com/

regards

Andrew

Cocoon Bean Offline without CLI

Posted by rachid harradi <ra...@gmx.net>.
Hello Together

Apparent my problem with CocoonBean does not find a solution here. I sent more Mails. I get always the error if I run Main.java like Java_Application.

ERROR   2006-08-15 15:17:02.222 [manager ] (): Could not set up Component for hint [ session-context]
org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceException: Could not find component (key [org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.ContextManager]) (Key='org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.ContextManager')
	at org.apache.avalon.framework.service.WrapperServiceManager.lookup(WrapperServiceManager.java:80)
	at org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.components.ContextInputModule.service(ContextInputModule.java:112)
	at org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.service(ContainerUtil.java:143)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:271)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:108)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.addComponent(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:705)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedComponentSelector.configure(ExtendedComponentSelector.java:228)
	at org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.configure(ContainerUtil.java:201)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:289)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:108)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.initialize(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:524)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.initialize(CocoonComponentManager.java:566)
	at org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:244)
	at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initialize(Cocoon.java:342)
	at org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:244)
	at org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonWrapper.initialize(CocoonWrapper.java:177)
	at org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonBean.initialize(CocoonBean.java:99)
	at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Main.java:319)
Caused by: org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: Could not find component (key [org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.ContextManager])
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.lookup(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:265)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.lookup(CocoonComponentManager.java:335)
	at org.apache.avalon.framework.service.WrapperServiceManager.lookup(WrapperServiceManager.java:68)
	... 17 more
Exception in thread "main" org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Could not load class org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.components.ContextInputModule for component named 'session-context' at file:/E:/workspace3/Cocoon/build/webapp/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf:243:151
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedComponentSelector.configure(ExtendedComponentSelector.java:235)
	at org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.configure(ContainerUtil.java:201)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:289)ERROR   2006-08-15 15:17:02.222 [manager ] (): Could not load class org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.components.ContextInputModule for component named 'session-context' at file:/E:/workspace3/Cocoon/build/webapp/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf:243:151
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: Could not set up Component for hint [ session-context] (key [session-context])
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.addComponent(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:723)
[...]
Caused by: org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceException: Could not find component (key [org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.ContextManager]) (Key='org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.ContextManager')
	at org.apache.avalon.framework.service.WrapperServiceManager.lookup(WrapperServiceManager.java:80)
	at org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.components.ContextInputModule.service(ContextInputModule.java:112)
	at org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.service(ContainerUtil.java:143)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:271)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:108)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.addComponent(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:705)
	... 12 more
Caused by: org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: Could not find component (key [org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.ContextManager])
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.lookup(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:265)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.lookup(CocoonComponentManager.java:335)
	at org.apache.avalon.framework.service.WrapperServiceManager.lookup(WrapperServiceManager.java:68)
	... 17 more
ERROR   2006-08-15 15:17:02.238 [manager ] (): Caught an exception trying to initialize the component handler.
[...]
Caused by: org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: Could not set up Component for hint [ session-context] (key [session-context])
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.addComponent(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:723)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedComponentSelector.configure(ExtendedComponentSelector.java:228)
	... 11 more
[...]
FATAL_E 2006-08-15 15:17:02.238 [        ] (): Exception caught

RE: Getting started again...

Posted by Warrell <wa...@iquo.co.uk>.
Hi,

In order to make a start on the new codebase I am testing a component under
2.2 I was hoping someone has got SQLTransformer working yet? I get 'Unknown
datasources' when I try to use my legacy xconf section in the
cocoon-sitemap.xconf

Running under Websphere requires use of the j2ee config too so getting this
working under the new regime would be a winner for me.

I'm not using the archetype technique yet for block management but I don't
think this should be the source of problem. As database access is so vital
to most real world projects a little advice from you 2.2 gurus would really
bolster the vanguard of movement to the future of Cocoon.

Thanks for any help as this is pretty vital to getting Cocoon used in my new
company,

Best regards

Warrell

http://www.eset.com

Re: Getting started again...

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.

Re: Getting started again...

Posted by Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@fagnani.com>.

Re: Getting started again...

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.

Re: Getting started again...

Posted by Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@fagnani.com>.
Thanks for the reply Grzegorz,

> Have you seen BricksCMS? [1] It is basically showcase for CRUD
> operations done quite easily in Cocoon.

I'm checking that out right now.

> XSP is being replaced by Template block.

I suppose that's a 2.2 block? I see no docs mentioning it.

> It is refactored and extended version of JX templates (syntax is
> pretty the same) which was back-ported into 2.1.x branch in 2.1.9
> AFAIR. Speaking more precisely, Template cannot do everything XSP
> did. For example there is no ESQLequivalent in Template. Thus this
> responsibility has been carried to Flowscript/Javaflow. So
> flowscript have to prepare model for a view.

That's fine with me, it's a better separation of V and MC, I just
always hated having to really struggle to get XSL to give me the
output I wanted when I could do it much easier in Java. Things like
tables, ordering, color-coding, grouping, etc. Jeni Tennison's XSL
pages helped a lot, but that experience made me appreciate have a
full programming model at my disposal, not a chosen subset
implemented by the template language. And XSL's very powerful
compared to most template languages out there. I guess I'll see with
JXTemplate...

> As there is the desire of devs to release first milestone of the
> most fundamental parts[2] of Cocoon 2.2 it seems reasonable to
> consider 2.2 not 2.1x branch.

>> Also... I've been looking into Spring and Tuscany to help with
>> data access and exposing web services. Should I try to get started
>> with Cocoon 2.2?
> Spring... Spring + Hibernate alternative way of handling data to
> that showed in BricksCMS. It demands more time for learning but
> it's more powerful. Also you should know that Spring became default
> component container in 2.2 so integration is pretty good and tight.
> So yes, Spring is the way to go for the future.

I've been following the dev mailing list for a little while, trying
to get a handle on where Cocoon is heading. I had to get started
though, and seeing how some of the devs had a hard time getting 2.2
up and running I thought I'd go with 2.1.9. If 2.2M1 really is coming
out soon, and is somewhat usable, I'd rather go with that. Spring is
a big plus and I think the only functionality I need is flow,
templates, and maybe forms.

Ok, well thanks for the advice.

-Justin

PS. Arrgh. I sent this first from the wrong email and I hoped the
moderator would catch it. Sorry for the double email.

Re: Getting started again...

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Justin Fagnani-Bell napisał(a):
> Hi,
>
> This is probably my 3rd email on the same subject in the past few
> years, and I'm sure you get these all the time, but it seem things
> haven't gotten much easier, so please excuse me...
>
> I used Cocoon quite a bit in the 1.x days, and was quite comfortable
> with XSP, Actions, Generators, etc... Cocoon's changed a lot since
> then, and I can't seem to find a clear starting path with the new
> technologies. I'm starting a completely new site/application from
> scratch. So I'm looking to start right and with the methods that will
> carry forward into Cocoon 2.2/3.0.
Hello,
I was playing with Cocoon since 2.0.3 but I have to admit that I was
interested in it more as for research than for real application. Though
I currently build one using Daisy, CForms, JX, Flowscript and Hibernate.
Also I follow discussions on the dev list quite carefully so I can share
*my own* perception.
> At first I'm trying to do some very basic CRUD operations on my
> database. Before I would use POJOs for the model, Actions for the
> controller, and XSP for the view, all using an abstracted database
> access layer (that used JDBC). It all seemed pretty simple and made a
> lot of sense to me.
Have you seen BricksCMS? [1] It is basically showcase for CRUD
operations done quite easily in Cocoon.
> These days XSP is deprecated, Actions might be too, and there's a
> plethora of data access frameworks. I know Flow replaces Actions, but
> what replaces XSP? XSP is still all over the user documentation and
> tutorials. I'm assuming it's some sort of combination of CForms, JX
> templates, and maybe Velocity?
XSP is being replaced by Template block. It is refactored and extended
version of JX templates (syntax is pretty the same) which was
back-ported into 2.1.x branch in 2.1.9 AFAIR. Speaking more precisely,
Template cannot do everything XSP did. For example there is no
ESQLequivalent in Template. Thus this responsibility has been carried to
Flowscript/Javaflow. So flowscript have to prepare model for a view.
> There's a ton a samples and obviously many ways to do things, but is
> there one set of "sanctioned" components/methods to use when starting
> a new Cocoon app?
"Sanctioned" way, best practices, call it in way you want is big desire
in Cocoon's community both users and devs, I think. BricksCMS mentioned
above is good example of promoting good practices. C2.2 seems to bring
more tidiness and being decoupled into blocks will change way she lives.
In ideal situation there is no big distribution containing all blocks
around but small core and infrastructure (maven-based) to include those
you really need. So old, not maintained blocks won't be carried anymore
and won't disrupt users' attention. IMO it will lead to situation where
best practices will be better promoted and those not popular will die
more quickly.
As there is the desire of devs to release first milestone of the most
fundamental parts[2] of Cocoon 2.2 it seems reasonable to consider 2.2
not 2.1x branch.
> I guess my biggest question is about views really. I see only two
> pages in the docs talking about JX. The flow docs still talk about
> possibly using XSP with the JXPath logicsheet. Is XSP still fine to
> use since I'm used to it?
My strong advice: forget about XSP. It was nice idea, it worked fine but
everyone moved from it to JX, it's just a fact.
> Is JX the way to go? Is Velocity better because it's used in other
> projects? I tend to do some pretty complicated logic on the view side
> of things (not messing with the model or controller side) and like the
> expressiveness of having all of Java at my fingertips, so I'm a little
> wary of a restricted template for the view.
Template block (so also JX) has a concept of macros. These are reusable
parts of template customized by data, the are quite powerful. CForms are
pretty complicated and run fine using Templates as view. I don't know
about Velocity, but in Cocoon world Template is going to be primer
template engine.
> Also... I've been looking into Spring and Tuscany to help with data
> access and exposing web services. Should I try to get started with
> Cocoon 2.2?
Spring... Spring + Hibernate alternative way of handling data to that
showed in BricksCMS. It demands more time for learning but it's more
powerful. Also you should know that Spring became default component
container in 2.2 so integration is pretty good and tight. So yes, Spring
is the way to go for the future.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/BricksCms
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Bricks22
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/65212/focus=65220