Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2016/08/18 21:01:03 UTC

[DISCUSS] Java 8

I know we've talked about this before, but I kind of want to just use Java
8 for Accumulo 1.8. It'd help clean up some things in the build (can make
use of newer versions of build plugins, and make it easier for new
development against the latest release).

I just don't know how reasonable it is to keep making new, non-bugfix
releases on EOL JDKs (even though I may have previously argued that it'd be
safer to just wait until a major version bump).

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 on your suggestion, Sean.

Changing what 1.8 is at the 11th hour does not sit well with me. There
is no reason we cannot finish 1.8 as it stands, and then do the JDK8
switch for a 2.0 (and release it in whatever rapid succession is desired).

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
There seem to be differences of opinion about what action to take (or not
take), but I think everybody understands the relevant concerns which have
been expressed so far. I'm going to let this thread sit for the weekend so
folks can think and comment some more, and then call a vote on Monday to
decide on the action to take. I think that's probably the best way to
resolve this clearly... let the majority decide so we're not in a stalemate.

FWIW, I also took a look at what's in the master branch, and there's not
much differences from 1.8, except some mostly superficial improvements for
JDK8... not much actual changes. This biggest concern
is b69291a3453fd0e6091586cf37fb1636a356caa9 which aggressively drops
Deprecated code. I think that could be reverted relatively easily, and we
could release from the current master. It's not in as bad a state as I had
thought... and the bad state that is there were a result of that commit.

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Dave Marion <dm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Russ, the master branch would be relabeled 3.0. It's not compatible. We're
just determining what to call this release and its minimum dependencies. It
wouldn't change its contents.

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Russ Weeks <rw...@newbrightidea.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
we could also take the major version to do a pass of dependency updates.

--
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.