Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2011/02/08 23:39:44 UTC

[Neethi] Big set of commits, would like review...

I did a bunch of commits to trunk for Neethi today that I would like some
review for.

Note: these changes are NOT completely backwords compatible.  The changes:

1) I've added parsing/writing of Policies in WS-Policy 1.5 namespace.
Included in this is parsing the "wsp:Ignorable" attribute.  The Assertion
interface got an "isIgnorable" method added to support this.   Since this is
an added method to an interface, anything implementing the interface (like all
the policies in Rampart) will need to have the method added.   The Policy
object now can record the namespace for itself and will write out the policy
in the correct namespace.  The child policy assertions SHOULD attempt (if
needed) to detect the version being written and adjust accordingly.

2) Converters  - well over  a year ago, I talked about pulling the Axiom stuff
out of the core and using converters to convert to/from various formats.  That
would allow the builders to be written using DOM, OMElement, XMLStreamReader,
etc...   This is now done.   Axiom is now completely optional.    The
PolicyEngine now has "generic" methods like:

Policy getPolicy(Object element)

that as long as there are Converters registered to convert from whatever is
passed in to something the builders support, it should just work.  There are
converters to/from all combinations of XMLStreamReader, DOM Element, and
OMElement.     This change is likely source compatible EXCEPT for the
AssertionBuilders which will need to be updated to look like:

class MyAssertionBuilder implements AssertionBuilder<OMElement> {

so the runtime will know what to feed it.

The second should allow me to start pushing more stuff from CXF's Policy
implementation down into Neethi and maybe even into WSS4J.  I hope.  :-)

I've also ported all the unit tests off the Neethi 1.x branch to the 2.x
branch.  I have no idea why that wasn't done long ago.    The "intersect"
tests are not running right now as the intersect method just throws an
UnsupportedOperationException, which really sucks.   It worked in 1.x, not in
2.x.    I'm going to try and look at that a bit next.   Supporting that MAY
require some more changes.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [Neethi] Big set of commits, would like review...

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday 10 February 2011 8:46:47 am Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
> I think it would be good if we stick with older version, else need lot
> more testing.

It's obviously up to the Axis community to figure out what is best for them.
It probably makes a lot of sense for them to stick with 2.0.4 for now,
especially for 1.6, but I'm not an Axis person so I cannot really comment.

At this point, though, I just want to get someone to look at the basic changes
to have an extra pair of eyes to look at it and make sure everythign is OK.
Over the next week or so, I plan on getting CXF trunk updated to use it so
there will likely be more changes/fixes as I do that, but I'm hoping the
foundation is now in place to move forward with that.   Basically, I'm not
planning to release 3.0 this week.  :-)   I need to let it bake a little.   I
also have a bunch of Neeth 1.x based tests internal to talend that I want to
port and run with the new code to see if it exposes any other bugs.  Anyway,
there is definitely some more testing and development needed before 3.0, but
having extra eyes look at my changes would be appreciated.

Dan

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 10 February 2011 1:51:04 am Ruwan Linton wrote:
> > Ooohh, this completely breaks Axis2, Rampart, Sandesha2 and all
> associated
> > modules. :-(
>
> Yep.  It will.   That's why it's a 3.0 and not a 2.x.     The two main
> changes
> are the elimination of the singletons (will break everything, no more
> static
> methods) and adding the isIgnorable method to the assertions (for 1.5
> support).  Both will break a lot of things and will require a concious
> effort
> to update.
>
> Dan
>

> > Ruwan
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Ruwan Linton
> <ru...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > > sorry the surefire report says,
> > >
> > > Tests run: 6, Failures: 0, Errors: 6, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.035
> sec
> > > <<< FAILURE!
> > > testOM(org.apache.neethi.NormalizeTest)  Time elapsed: 0.005 sec  <<<
> > > ERROR!
> > > java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> > >
> /Users/ruwanlinton/Development/Apache/Neethi/trunk/src/test/test-resource
> > > s/samples/.svn (No such file or directory)
> > > at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
> > >
> > >  at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:106)
> > >
> > > at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:66)
> > >
> > >  at
> org.apache.neethi.PolicyTestCase.getResource(PolicyTestCase.java:80)
> > >
> > > at
> > >
> org.apache.neethi.PolicyTestCase.getResourceAsElement(PolicyTestCase.java
> > > :109)
> > >
> > >  at org.apache.neethi.PolicyTestCase.getPolicy(PolicyTestCase.java:74)
> > >
> > > at org.apache.neethi.NormalizeTest.doTest(NormalizeTest.java:81)
> > >
> > >  at org.apache.neethi.NormalizeTest.doTest(NormalizeTest.java:65)
> > >
> > > at org.apache.neethi.NormalizeTest.testOM(NormalizeTest.java:43)

> this.

> It
> that

> > > --
> > > Ruwan Linton
> > > Member, Apache Software Foundation; http://www.apache.org
> > > Software Architect & Product Manager, WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.org
> > >
> > > phone: +1 408 754 7388 ext 51789
> > > email: ruwan@wso2.com; cell: +94 77 341 3097
> > > blog: http://blog.ruwan.org
> > > linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ruwanlinton
> > > google: http://www.google.com/profiles/ruwan.linton
> > > tweet: http://twitter.com/ruwanlinton
>
> --
> Daniel Kulp
> dkulp@apache.org
> http://dankulp.com/blog

*Afkham Azeez*
Senior Software Architect & Senior Manager; WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com,
*
*
*Member; Apache Software Foundation;
**http://www.apache.org/*<http://www.apache.org/>
*
email: **azeez@wso2.com* <az...@wso2.com>* cell: +94 77 3320919
blog: **http://blog.afkham.org* <http://blog.afkham.org>*
twitter: **http://twitter.com/afkham_azeez*<http://twitter.com/afkham_azeez>
*

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I think this is fixed now.   I keep forgetting about those .svn dirs as I use
git for everything.

Dan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Dan,

I am getting a test failure on the Neethi trunk, with the following surefire
report, may be you forgot to svn add some files??

Ruwan

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> I did a bunch of commits to trunk for Neethi today that I would like some
> review for.
>
> Note: these changes are NOT completely backwords compatible.  The changes:
>
> 1) I've added parsing/writing of Policies in WS-Policy 1.5 namespace.
> Included in this is parsing the "wsp:Ignorable" attribute.  The Assertion
> interface got an "isIgnorable" method added to support this.   Since this
> is
> an added method to an interface, anything implementing the interface (like
> all
> the policies in Rampart) will need to have the method added.   The Policy
> object now can record the namespace for itself and will write out the
> policy
> in the correct namespace.  The child policy assertions SHOULD attempt (if
> needed) to detect the version being written and adjust accordingly.
>
> 2) Converters  - well over  a year ago, I talked about pulling the Axiom
> stuff
> out of the core and using converters to convert to/from various formats.
>  That
> would allow the builders to be written using DOM, OMElement,
> XMLStreamReader,
> etc...   This is now done.   Axiom is now completely optional.    The
> PolicyEngine now has "generic" methods like:
>
> Policy getPolicy(Object element)
>
> that as long as there are Converters registered to convert from whatever is
> passed in to something the builders support, it should just work.  There
> are
> converters to/from all combinations of XMLStreamReader, DOM Element, and
> OMElement.     This change is likely source compatible EXCEPT for the
> AssertionBuilders which will need to be updated to look like:
>
> class MyAssertionBuilder implements AssertionBuilder<OMElement> {
>
> so the runtime will know what to feed it.
>

> The second should allow me to start pushing more stuff from CXF's Policy
> implementation down into Neethi and maybe even into WSS4J.  I hope.  :-)
>
> I've also ported all the unit tests off the Neethi 1.x branch to the 2.x
> branch.  I have no idea why that wasn't done long ago.    The "intersect"
> tests are not running right now as the intersect method just throws an
> UnsupportedOperationException, which really sucks.   It worked in 1.x, not
> in
> 2.x.    I'm going to try and look at that a bit next.   Supporting that MAY
> require some more changes.
>
> --
> Daniel Kulp
> dkulp@apache.org